Traveling in Ireland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neovox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the wife and I are on day four traveling in Ireland. Obviously, many pints of Guinness have already been consumed. We visited the Guniness brewery. Unforunately, it's light on brewing and heavy on marketing, which has been written about quite a bit on the travel sites. Still, drinking a pint while overlooking the city is pretty nice.

Smithwick's was the stop earlier today. While still a big beer company, definately a much better brewery tour -- at least they take you through the actual production faciliy, and quite a bit of brewing history at the abby too.

While there's not a huge craft beer movement here, there is a small one that seems to be growing fast. Thus far we've sampled beers from Brew Dog, 8 Degrees, Dungarvan, O'Hara's, Trouble, and Hooker. We visited a fantastic beer bar in Dublin called the Black Sheep too. Tonight though was spent sampling Irish whiskey including Green Spot and Slane Castle, both super tasty.

Well, typing on a tablet keyboard sucks, especially after several whiskeys. So, I'm out.... but just thought I'd share.

Slainte!

Akavango, thanks for the list. The girl that did our tour at Smithwick's mentioned the Fransican Well too. Although, she couldn't remembr the exact name. She said it had something to do with a Friary. :) We're actually headed down to Kinsale for a couple of days, so not too far from Cork.

Check out beoir.org. Watch the top banner and click on it when it shows craft pubs & brewery's . There are a few in the south. If your near the burren in co. Clare there is a pub in lisdoonvarna called the roadside tavern, it's a micro brewery that serves it in the pub, ask for Peter and he'll give you a tour..

Not that I'm adding much here, but, if you're spending any more time in Dublin, there is a brewpub chain(?) called Porterhouse. The one I saw was in Temple Bar. I didn't get a chance to stop at it because my time there was really limited but it looked to have a good crowd in there. I took that to be a good sign. Of course, I saw a lot of locals drinking Budweiser so a good crowd might not mean much.

If your heading to Dingle check out The Dingle Brewing Company. It's small but they make the best Irish lager I have ever had.

http://dinglebrewingcompany.com/

And just to add....any trip to Ireland is not complete without a stop in the Dingle peninsula. Make the drive, you'll love it.

@the_general Many folks recomended the Porterhouse, but we didn't make it there. Far too much to much to do in too little time. :)

@j1laskey We will be spending a day in Dingle. Dingle Brewing is on my list.

@oh_crap i'm going to have to check out the map to see exactly where it is in comparison
to where we'll be. God knows you dont have to twist my arm to get a beer. Thanks for the tip.

Well then, I'll have to check out Porterhouse next time. Now I have an excuse to go back!

By the way, we skipped out on Porterhouse to grab dinner at The Larder (also in Temple Bar). I highly recommend it. I had a great steak there.

I'm jealous! Being a descendant of Irish immigrants I've always wanted to visit the land of my ancestors.

One more thing about the Porterhouse. I was told it's actually a chain with locations in Dublin, London, NY, and somewhere else.

neovox said:
One more thing about the Porterhouse. I was told it's actually a chain with locations in Dublin, London, NY, and somewhere else.

The one in Dublin is THE ORIGINAL of the chain, as posted earlier it gets a great crowd 3/4 of which are hinekin BMC etc bottle only. BUT they have a huge range if craft beer to choose from, all on draft that he brews himself in co. Wicklow

I loved Ireland I was there for 3 weeks with work in Galway and its definitely on my short list to take the wife to for a vacation.

Well, stopped in Cork City today. Had to kill an hour and a half waiting for the Franciscan Well to open, much to my wife's dismay. We spent the time walking down to Pope's Quay hoping to hit the Bierhouse but they weren't open yet either. Stopped by the Bierhalle nextdoor for lunch and some beer form Trouble Brewing Company. Later we hit the Franciscian Well, which has some fantastic beer. We chatted up the barman and a local homebrewer, then headed back to Kinsale. Wish I could of had a couple more there but we still had to drive back. Took in the Rugby game over at the Folk House in Kinsale, which had Metalman on Cask. Chillin' now watching the Bay/Che game.

The one in Dublin is THE ORIGINAL of the chain, as posted earlier it gets a great crowd 3/4 of which are hinekin BMC etc bottle only. BUT they have a huge range if craft beer to choose from, all on draft that he brews himself in co. Wicklow

Had a great conversation about the Porterhouse with the barman at the Franciscan Well. He said the same. I didn't realize Dublin is the original location. Now I wish i could have made it back by. Such is life...

Back