transporting fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I am gonna do a brew at parents' house tonight, since some family is in town and some of them are curious to see the process.
Well after I'm done, it will go in my 6.5 gal ale pail, with lid and airlock of course..
but then I have a 30 min. drive home. will this have any adverse effects? obviously it will be splashing around.. but maybe since it will have just been in fermenter for an hour or so, that could be good and help the yeast out?

any thoughts?

absolutely no problems. in fact, it should help aerate it some with the sloshing around, before you pitch the yeast.

We brew in front of our LHBS for demonstrations from time to time, then bring the carboy home, and pitch the yeast later once cooled further.

aeration within the first 24ish hours of pitching yeast is perfectly fine. just so long as you don't oxidize which from the sounds of it you wont.

please pitch your yeast before you drive.

i do this all the time in the summer when we have a michigan predators brewday, i've found that it works best if i pitch the yeast and cap it before travel. dont use an airlock just seal it till your home to prevent contaminants from breathing in with the sloshing/jostling that will occur. use a piece of saran wrap under the cap of your airlock with a bucket, put it in a milk crate and strap into the vehicle.

I've transported mine a week after I pitched the yeast and everything turned out fine, so I think that you'll okay.

I took 2 BB's full of beer on a unexpected 12 hour drive, post active fermentation, tasted both of the batches at bottling time, and they were fine. I have tasted one of the batches twice since bottling, and there wasn't anything wrong with it. In your case it should just get lots of O2 at a time when its good for the beer.

dang i wish i saw these replies earlier.. i didn't even think about not pitching yeast until i got home..
oh well, i pitched at my parents' house, and we left about 1.5-2 hours later..

it was only a 20 min. drive.. hopefully it's fine.

Absolutely pitch the yeast before you drive.. I do it all the time, I just put it on the front seat, pull the seatbelt thru the carry handle..

Latest posts

Back