Transferring wort to carboy techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For most of my batches I have lifted the kettle and dumped the entire amount into the bucket/carboy. If I was using whole hops or not filtering with some sort of mesh in the kettle I would normally pour through a colander. Normally now I will leave all hops in some sort of boiling bag so the majority of the mass getting into the kettle is break material.

I have tried a couple times to whirlpool then siphon into the fermenter but the siphon always seems to clog with around a gallon left. In the end I end up dumping the remaining to liquid into the fermenter to avoid wasting volume.

My siphoning procedure is to swirl the wort with a large spoon for at least 30-45 seconds then let settle for about 30 minutes. The wort settles but there is always a couple inches of proteins and break material in the bottom of the kettle.

What is the best way to leave trub in the kettle and minimize volume loss?

Depending on your kettle size, you could just scale your batches a bit higher to account for the lost volume. I used to create my batches for 11 gallons, thinking to get 5.5 in each carboy. I have since changed that to 12 and don't run into the problem much any more. It costs maybe a few extra bucks and you don't have to mess with trying to get every last drop and deal with the break etc...

Give that a try if you like.

Why are you trying to leave the trub? Why waste that much beer just to avoid trub? Are you trying to save the yeast or something else? Most of us just dump it all into the fermenter. When the ferment is done, the hops settle out and get covered with the yeast.

I covered my siphon with a paint strainer bag and rubber banded it.
It kept all the crap out and avoided having to pour from the kettle to carboy.
I shake the carboy after transfer to aerate it.

Back