Transferring from commercial keg to corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brady

Reaction score
I bought a keg of Firestone Walker 805 to put in my keezer for tomorrow's party. It's the first keg I've purchased, so I didn't realize that I didn't have a corny conversion kit for the Sanke tap I've had for a while.

I brought the keg home with the micromatic pump tap. I can remove the cobra tap and hook a like into my keezer tap, but I don't want to have to keep lifting the lid to pump.

Since I have an empty corny keg, would it work to slowly hand pump the beer out of the commercial keg into the spare corny through a long beer line, like I was filling a bottle? Then seal and purge and get the pressure back up? Or am I going to ruin a keg of good beer doing that?

Thanks for your help, all.

I don't know, but I would guess that the only problem is the oxygen getting into the beer (not counting cramps from the thousands of times you'll have to pump the keg to get all the beer out). I suppose if you drink the beer fast enough you shouldn't have problems with it oxygenating.

Also, what size keg is it? Wouldn't you need more than one corny?

Does the hand pump unscrew off the rest of the tap? If so, take it off & go to LHBS or plumbing store and see if you can get a nipple that will screw into/onto it with a flare to attach your gas line or splurge and get the adapter kit to fit corny posts on a sankey tap.

This is probably a time to splurge on the right equipment, either get the right hookups to rig the keg to your current keezer system or the hookups to transfer to the corny. Can't see that keg having been cheap and pushing with CO2 will keep all the beer away from oxygen unlike using a handpump.

Back