Transferring carbonated beer from keg to bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
I stopped at one of my local home brew shops. It is one of the large ones you most likely know of.

Talking to a staff member, I mentioned I would like to transfer beer from a keg to bottles. I want to make a six pack or two to take to events, parties, competitions etc.

His solution was a 3/8" tube that I could attach to a picnic tap and use as a bottle filler. I thought that sounded like a fine solution.

It was not until today when I began to question something he mentioned. He said that this process of transferring carbonated beer from a keg to a bottle would only allow carbonation to last up to three weeks. Well, at the time that sounded fine. But today am wondering if I might not want to set a couple of bottles aside for a number of months or so.

His process:
Attach tube to picnic faucet.
Using cold and sanitized bottles fill until foam pours out.
Cap
Enjoy

Now, if his process is only a temporary one lasting three weeks, what if I were to add a couple of carbonation tabs for the bottles I want to store long term? A part of me says, "If I am filling bottles with carbonated beer and capping them right away they should stay carbonated and last much longer than three weeks.

Thoughts?

Although I've never used the technique he describes, my first inclination is the same as you mentioned at the end of your post: how would the CO2 escape? If the seal on a bottle cap holds the carbonation achieved through priming sugar, why wouldn't it hold the carbonation achieved through forced CO2 in a keg?

Hey there,

I use a bottling wand rather than clear tubing. The wand fits perfectly in the pic nic tap. Cut the wand/tube on an angle so it doesn't sit flat on the bottom of the bottle. Chill the bottles 10mins or so. Reduce keg pressure to about 3 psi and fill until BEER comes out not foam. Remove the tube and it will be perfectly filled. I fill and cap one bottle at a time. No reason why the carb wouldn't keep forever like anything naturally cared.

It's quick and easy

Enjoy
Rick

BM came up with that idea years ago. It's very simple and you can follow the link. Better yet look it up on you-tube and see how it's done. As long as you cap the bottles correctly the carbonation will be fine. One suggestion is to raise your psi on your keg a few days before you bottle by a couple pounds and fill the bottles all the way to the top with as little head space as possible. This will help stop the CO2 from off-gassing from the beer into the head space and making your beer less carbonated than it was in the keg.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Hammy71 said:
BM came up with that idea years ago. It's very simple and you can follow the link. Better yet look it up on you-tube and see how it's done. As long as you cap the bottles correctly the carbonation will be fine. One suggestion is to raise your psi on your keg a few days before you bottle by a couple pounds and fill the bottles all the way to the top with as little head space as possible. This will help stop the CO2 from off-gassing from the beer into the head space and making your beer less carbonated than it was in the keg. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

+1
Simple, cheap, easy and works!

Back