Transferring brew from fermentation to pressure barrel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettPreston

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in the process of my first ever brew. Just wanted to ensure I have this process correct and if not what I need to do / change...

So, the beer has been fermentation for around 10 days and seems to of gone well. I'm currently just getting reading and they seem to be the same and consistent each time at 1.012 which is good as recommended on the instructions for this beer is 1.014.

So, once I've done 1/2 more readings to be doubly sure are these steps correct...

Sanitise pressure barrel and other tools and rinse clean.

Using a tube (included in kit) transfer beer into the pressure barrel.

Add sugar. Up to 100g (instructions direct) normal white sugar??

Tighten lid, leave in a warm place for a further 2/3 days.

After this, can it then be put somewhere cooler or cold? As such as the garden for a few weeks? Or will it need to still be indoors but not so warm as before?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I've never used a pressure barrel before, but from what I can gather, its just like making a huge bottle of beer. Your steps look ok from what I can see. Here's my suggestion.

1. Finish fermenting beer
2. Sanitize anything touching final beer - barrel, tubing, racking cane, spigot
**3. make a priming solution
Boil 1-2 cups of water for a few minutes. Add your desired amount of priming sugar to the boiling water to dissolve and boil for a few minutes.
**4. Add priming solution to barrel
5. Transfer finished beer into barrel
(adding the priming solution helps to ensure even distribution of the sugar into the beer. In the case of a pressure barrel, I think the biggest advantage is to make sure the sugar is dissolved so it doesn't just clump at the bottom)
6. Wait for yeast to digest sugars and make carbonation. This can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. Warmer conditions will help this occur faster.
7. Chill to serving temps.

I'm going to assume that you are in Europe? In the US, "pressure barrels" aren't widely used, so please, if anyone sees something glaringly wrong, feel free to correct.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that since this is a closed system used to create carbonation in the beer, you must ensure a good seal on all possible areas where the CO2 could escape (spigot, lid). You may want to use some kind of lubricant/sealant like keg lube to help. Also, be very careful as in theory, depending on how much sugar is used, you can create a lot of pressure inside the barrel. Make sure it can handle the load you're intending to put into it! Congrats on the first brew

I am not familiar with "pressure barrels" so my comments address your process.

The "rinse" that you mention after sanitizing step is not necessary depending on the type of sanitizer being used. Once sanitIzed, rinsing could introduce unwanted pathogens.

As far as the sugar used, table sugar works as does corn sugar, brown sugar, or ANY sugar.
The only differences would be in the amount used. As above post mentioned, make a priming solution and put in barrel first and THEN transfer beer into barrel. More consistent and even mixture.
Not enough sugar will result in poor carbonation while too much sugar can create a pressurized bomb that can hurt or kill!
Be careful and ask questions if you are unsure.

Thankyou for your replies. They were helpful and useful.

So, this morning I did it, moved it Into the pressure barrel. I took your bits of advice, sanitised everything that came I to contact with the beer, boiled water and mixed with 100g of sugar let cool then added to the barrel. Moved the beer into the barrel, carefully and did not take to much sediment with it. I use availinle round the lid to ensure a good seal. I have now left it in a warm around of my flat and will leave it there for around a week before moving to a cooler area.

I've used a calculator online to figure out the ABV of my ale. It states that it is around 3.5% however my instructions state it should be around 4.6%.

Will it rise in the barrel?

Could I of made a mistake to not of gotten to the correct AVB?

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back