Transfer with Airlock Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bheher

Reaction score
Ok sorry about another airlock activity thread.
I brewed a Hefeweizen 10 days ago. Started fermentation at 62deg had vigorous fermentation for 3 days then ramped to 70deg over 2 days and I have held a 70 for 5 days. I still have bubbles coming thru the airlock after 10 days?

Took a gravity reading 3 days ago and it was at 1.014. Should I take a reading today and rack to keg if its under 1.010 (which is target) or wait until airlock is stopped.

When I usually brew an ale I let it sit on yeast cake for 3 weeks then cold crash and keg. However this is a hef so I assume ferment and rack to keg asap.

Wait... take more readings. Although I never go by airlock activity it seems there is still some gas being produced which indicates there is still some activity going on. I bet the yeasties are still floating all around and doing what they do.

step 1: ignore the airlock, it means NOTHING about fermentation being done.

step 2: if the reading is stable and at/near the final gravity when tested 3-4 days apart, its done fermenting. If it is 1.010 today, you gotta wait 3 days and see if its still 1.010.

OK good call guys, ill just do what malkore suggested and let gravity reading be the deciding factor.

Back