Traditional Lambic Using a Turbid Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
Sours scare me a bit, I won't lie. But this guy did a really nice writeup, complete with a pretty great flow chart for the turbid mash steps... which appeals to the nerd in me.

Seeing as how I seem to like to complicate things (decoction mashing, reducing runnings to syrup, etc), this is right down my alley.

Last edited:
I might try a turbid mash in the future, but as of now, my first lambic (second sour) is pretty solid. I will see how the official results are after the Brewers Cup I am entering it in. Basically though, its just a highly mashed wheat beer pitched with Brett Lambicus and Belgian Lambic blend. After a few months, I added a couple lbs of blackberries to one fermenter, and raspberries to the other. Currently I have the blackberry on tap. Everyone who has tasted has loved it. Its even converted my wife to the sour side (she doesnt really like any type of beer, but now cant get enough of sours). It is blend it with a lacto beer at the end to up the acidity, but in the end, its a solid lambic. I would like to see how a turbid mash would compare.

You don't need to do a turbid mash to make a sour.

They really are easy, keep it simple and have patience.

Latest posts

Back