Topping up an all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffny25

Reaction score
Suppose you don't have a 5 gallon pot to do a full boil. Could you do a 3 gallon all grain and top it up to five gallons and still hit the correct OG for the type of beer that your making?

Suppose you don't have a 5 gallon pot to do a full boil. Could you do a 3 gallon all grain and top it up to five gallons and still hit the correct OG for the type of beer that your making?

how big is your mash tun?

You can, but you would have to adjust the recipe. Mash more grain to get a more concentrated wort so you would top up to lower the gravity down to your target. Hops would probably need some adjustment as well.

Or you can do like I do. Do a partial mash so that you're basically doing a 3 gallon or so version of the AG recipe, then add some extract to make up for the top up to 5 gallons. I did a write up on how I do it using Beersmith around here somewhere.

Back