Top-freezer fridge- put tower on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
So I was going to get a little 4 cu ft mini fridge as most do, but after seeing that they use just as much electricity (and sometimes more) than do larger sized fridges, and it's going in a space that can accommodate something larger, I'm thinking I'm going to go with a larger unit. That way, more room inside, I can store food and some bottles too, etc.

Please don't say keezer - I can't find a stainless chest freezer anywhere that is reasonably priced.

So I'm debating between two models - 10 cu ft or 4.5 cu ft

The larger one is 62" tall, the smaller one is 43" tall.

Anyway, my question. If I went with the shorter one, it's just a little taller than normal counter height, so even my short statured friends and family could easily pull a draft from a beer tower on top. But can you mount a tower onto a freezer-top fridge? That's my question. Because if not, I'll go with the larger fridge for sure and just drill through the fridge door. (Long winded, sorry!)

If you have a way to run the lines through the freezer section, it should be possible.

Personally, I think it will be akward as hell having a tower on top of a top-freezer model, and it will be weird to have to pull a pint from face level or higher.

If I went this route; I'd be going through the door.

Personally, I think it will be akward as hell having a tower on top of a top-freezer model, and it will be weird to have to pull a pint from face level or higher
I'm 5'8" and 43" is about my belly button, that's the fridge I'd consider putting the tower on top.

Because if not, I'll go with the larger fridge for sure and just drill through the fridge door. (Long winded, sorry!)

Personally, I would just go this route and be done with it. Much easier, and the extra space is nice to have.

Routing the beer lines through the freezer on the short model, you have to worry about the beer lines freezing up, and drilling through the top and bottom of the freezer compartment may be an issue depending on how the coils are routed.

Thanks for the input - I ended up buying a regular fridge (well, it's an all-fridge, no freezer) and will be drilling holes for taps in the door.

Back