Top fermenting yeast identification.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it says it's diastatious, which means it might finish pretty dry and it's not done fermenting after just 6 days....
Yes and it says medium flocculation. That explains why I have a small sediment. Though I just checked a sediment has grown a little. Its 7 the day and it's still going on. The alcohol tolerance is 14 % abv. Looks like a strong yeast . I am already getting a very strong ester and fruity aromas. Because the PET bucket fermentation isn't as seal tight as a glass carboy. The airlock is working fine. Looks like a good yeast at least its behaving like what the company claims.
6a743bc4a2012001.jpg
angel-dried-brewing-yeast-cs31-500-g.png

https://en.angelyeast.com/products/distilled-spirits-and-biofuels/ale-neer-yeast-cs31.html

Yes and it says medium flocculation. That explains why I have a small sediment. Though I just checked a sediment has grown a little. Its 7 the day and it's still going on. The alcohol tolerance is 14 % abv. Looks like a strong yeast . I am already getting a very strong ester and fruity aromas. Because the PET bucket fermentation isn't as seal tight as a glass carboy. The airlock is working fine. Looks like a good yeast at least its behaving like what the company claims.
View attachment 769682View attachment 769683
https://en.angelyeast.com/products/distilled-spirits-and-biofuels/ale-neer-yeast-cs31.html

from that link...(which i'm disapointed won't ship to the us! they want like $200 for a brick of nottingham here! :()

This yeast is var. diastaticus.

which means it will ferment more complex sugars...and be sure to give it time, or you might get bottle bombs....(i was about to ask what the og was...but of course you don't know lol, and i'm still waiting on that aquarium hydro to compare to my SG one)

from that link...(which i'm disapointed won't ship to the us! they want like $200 for a brick of nottingham here! :()

This yeast is var. diastaticus.

which means it will ferment more complex sugars...and be sure to give it time, or you might get bottle bombs....(i was about to ask what the og was...but of course you don't know lol, and i'm still waiting on that aquarium hydro to compare to my SG one)
Wow $200 is a very unfair price.
You really like that yeast and want to order?
If yes I am giving you my Chinese suppliers link , the one who supplied me CS31. But be patient from China to reach US it will take some time. And the shipping for US customers is free I think.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKanQxk

Wow $200 is a very unfair price.
You really like that yeast and want to order?
If yes I am giving you my Chinese suppliers link , the one who supplied me CS31. But be patient from China to reach US it will take some time. And the shipping for US customers is free I think.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKanQxk

WHOA DUDE! at $9.50 a 12g pack that's $400 for a 500g brick! thanks for trying though! i'm always looking for cost saving measures, that's just not going to be one of them! :mug:

and whats with the double decker pots? and sanke keg? just don't want flies in it? i mean at this point, just leave it in the boil kettle with the CFC running at the right temp?
If using traditional Yorkshire yeast, which are highly flocculant with a tendency to sit under and on top of the wort, i.e. not suspended in the wort, rousing promotes a better fermentation. By getting them back in the wort. The yeast trough automatically traps healthy yeast too, which makes harvesting the freshest yeast a complete doddle.

download.jpeg

685381-IMG-0391.jpeg

Sorry lol my bad.
I thought they are selling you a 12g pack for $200.

feels like it's their next step...but no when i started brewing it was $1.3 a pack, then i got into yeast harvesting...next thing i know they want 5-6$'s for a pack!

if this doesn't suit you...try wine yeast...i used it and just thought it had kinda of a watery mouth feel to it....

If using traditional Yorkshire yeast, which are highly flocculant with a tendency to sit under and on top of the wort, i.e. not suspended in the wort, rousing promotes a better fermentation. By getting them back in the wort. The yeast trough automatically traps healthy yeast too, which makes harvesting the freshest yeast a complete doddle.

View attachment 769687
View attachment 769688

SOOOO, what you're telling me if i hear LodO too many times, this is my blow back at them? :mug:

SOOOO, what you're telling me if i hear LodO too many times, this is my blow back at them? :mug:
Not necessarily, as recirculation occurs for a minute or so every few hours during active fermentation when CO2 is being released at a high rate.

feels like it's their next step...but no when i started brewing it was $1.3 a pack, then i got into yeast harvesting...next thing i know they want 5-6$'s for a pack!

if this doesn't suit you...try wine yeast...i used it and just thought it had kinda of a watery mouth feel to it....
I am planning to use mine in perpetuity ,like ancient people😂
If not in perpetuity then atleast for the next two batches.
Or will buy cheaper bricks from chinese suppliers. I've seen some for like 3500 RS . But they are in Chinese language so no way to tell they are for ales ,lagers or other info.
They only tell whether its a grain based yeast(beers) or fruit based yeast(wines)

I am planning to use mine in perpetuity ,like ancient people😂
If not in perpetuity then atleast for the next two batches.
Or will buy cheaper bricks from chinese suppliers. I've seen some for like 3500 RS . But they are in Chinese language so no way to tell they are for ales ,lagers or other info.
They only tell whether its a grain based yeast(beers) or fruit based yeast(wines)

i can't tell if this is the supplement or actual yeast? only a $1 a 50g pack though?

https://www.daraz.pk/products/brewe...null__28557__null__0.0__0.0________null__null
edit: never mind, looked it up...and noticed the writing at the bottom.... :(

edit 2: maybe i just don't know how to join your underground here's an interesting one?

https://www.daraz.pk/products/100-i...0e.searchlist.list.52.48e2760abr3o2H&search=1

Last edited:
i can't tell if this is the supplement or actual yeast? only a $1 a 50g pack though?

https://www.daraz.pk/products/brewe...null__28557__null__0.0__0.0________null__null
edit: never mind, looked it up...and noticed the writing at the bottom.... :(

edit 2: maybe i just don't know how to join your underground here's an interesting one?

https://www.daraz.pk/products/100-i...0e.searchlist.list.52.48e2760abr3o2H&search=1
I think a dietary supplement or nutritional yeast for lactating mothers(still useful for me though 😉😂)
The seller claims it can be used for fermentation but without any brewing info its as good as a bakers yeast.

I think a dietary supplement or nutritional yeast for lactating mothers(still useful for me though 😉😂)

speaking of folate, ever since talking to you...i've been craving a huge plate of chickpeas! ;) (or is that another misconception i have?)

but back on the original question, all i have to really offer is what i said....top fermenting is called top fermenting because people didn't even know what it was, and it got brown patches on top....bottom fermenting didn't...at least that's my understanding, if you look at the side of a glass carboy while fermenting, you can see either way the co2 bubbles are all through it.....?

i once HAD to use lager yeast out of nessecity, because my indoor temps were like 50f...and ale yeast wasn't fermenting...

speaking of folate, ever since talking to you...i've been craving a huge plate of chickpeas! ;) (or is that another misconception i have?)
Again I am lost 😁
but back on the original question, all i have to really offer is what i said....top fermenting is called top fermenting because people didn't even know what it was, and it got brown patches on top....bottom fermenting didn't...at least that's my understanding, if you look at the side of a glass carboy while fermenting, you can see either way the co2 bubbles are all through it.....?
Yes exactly. There are brown patches on the lid cover of my plastic bucket and there are bubbles on the sides.

i once HAD to use lager yeast out of nessecity, because my indoor temps were like 50f...and ale yeast wasn't fermenting...
You can actually those brown patches from outside in the pic below.

Attachments

• 20220524_022945.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Again I am lost 😁

garbanzo beans? with a super duper spicy thick sauce? maybe cumin, turmeric, paprika, etc, etc...and really good!

Yes exactly. There are brown patches on the lid cover of my plastic bucket and there are bubbles on the sides.

then i'd think it's top fermenting....usually lager yeast aren't active enough for those signs.....

garbanzo beans? with a super duper spicy thick sauce? maybe cumin, turmeric, paprika, etc, etc...and really good!

then i'd think it's top fermenting....usually lager yeast aren't active enough for those signs.....
Ah got it . Those spicy roasted chicken peas are delicacy here . Newbie drinkers use it here as well to avoid harsh alcohol taste.
Ofcourse it's top fermenting because Angel yeast co said so.

if this doesn't suit you...try wine yeast...
You cannot use wine yeast to ferment (beer) wort because she cannot ferment higher sugars, such as those abundant in beer wort (e.g., maltose, maltotriose). They are left behind, unfermented. The resulting beer will be a cloying, sweet mess with low alcohol.

You cannot use wine yeast to ferment (beer) wort because she cannot ferment higher sugars, such as those abundant in beer wort (e.g., maltose, maltotriose). They are left behind, unfermented. The resulting beer will be a cloying, sweet mess with low alcohol.

This is true. Most wine strains are bad at using maltose and can't use maltotriose at all (with a notable exception of Lalvin K1V-1116).

I suspect @bracconiere didn't have this issue because he ginsu-knife's his wort into a glucose solution using glucoamylase.

A little bit like a longer piece string the same length? 🤔

well kinda? but it's actually a shorter string with more calories.....because carbs have 4 calories a gram, but ethanol 7 a gram, but it take more of the carbs to make a gram of ethanol? and it's kinda a wash for actual energy production? but the ethanol has a:

well kinda? but it's actually a shorter string with more calories.....because carbs have 4 calories a gram, but ethanol 7 a gram, but it take more of the carbs to make a gram of ethanol? and it's kinda a wash for actual energy production? but the ethanol has a:

1 g of carbohydrate (assuming maltose) produces 176.04 / 342.30 = 0.5143 g of ethanol. so your 4 cal of carbohydrate becomes 7 cal/g * 0.5143 g = 3.6 cal of ethanol.

Brew on :mug:

1 g of carbohydrate (assuming maltose) produces 176.04 / 342.30 = 0.5143 g of ethanol. so your 4 cal of carbohydrate becomes 7 cal/g * 0.5143 g = 3.6 cal of ethanol.

Brew on :mug:

sounds about right? i lose about 2 calories a pour, but gain 2%ABV? which isn't by weight....

it states that ale yeast make friends and clump before floccing? and lager yeast don't get along until after they're done with work? and a microscope isn't that hard core? no more so then a stir plate or something?

you've had better luck with baker's yeast then me then!
So after the primary fermentation when added the priming sugar that's what I am seeing in my bottles(image below). Does that krausen at the top meets your ale criteria?

Attachments

• 20220527_231322.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
So after the primary fermentation when added the priming sugar that's what I am seeing in my bottles(image below). Does that krausen at the top meets your ale criteria?

no? but someone who bottles in clear bottles will have to chime in on that... i'd say the yeast have allready 'budded' and now they're just carbonating your drinks? otherwise there would be brown rafts on top?

View attachment 769687
View attachment 769688
Here's a video from the head brewery at Harvey's of Lewes, East Sussex, talking about when they got their house yeast from John Smith's brewery in Tadcaster, 67 years ago. In particular, the supply included the instructions to rouse the yeast after 24 hours.

They haven't cultured the yeast since, with all brews being pitched with top croppings from previous batches.

One of the two very similar strains in the house yeast blend is available as Sussex 1 from Brewlabs (via the Malt Miller). I've just roused my second batch of Sussex Best using it. I used a sanitized spoon though...

@McMullan - is this your setup? Very cool! One question - I am assuming the starting volume is completely in the sanke? The upper pot seems like it would trap too much yeast and not hold any wort leaving the batch with less yeast to do the work. I guess timing is important.
Yes, the wort, in a traditional Yorkshire square system, is filled to just overflow the 'yeast hole' in the upper vessel (yeast trough). Much of the yeast that get trapped here get washed back into the wort during periodic recirculating of the fermenting wort. With so much yeast trapped at the end of fermentation, the beer is soon ready (almost bright) to be racked off to finish conditioning. Yes, timing is important. Start rousing when fermentation activity peaks, when CO2 limits any noticeable (undesirable) oxidation. Not to be confused with squares used at other traditional English breweries further south (of Yorkshire), and some in the US, of course, where one vessel is used and the yeast benefit from open fermentation in a vessel (wort) with a larger surface-to-volume ratio and what seems to be less vigorous rousing; and where the yeast need to be skimmed off the FV rather than from what more conveniently collects in the Yorkshire square's yeast trough automatically.

Last edited:
Back