Top Cropping Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smuth10

Reaction score
I brewed an Oberon Clone last week and I planned on pitching a new batch of beer on top of the yeast cake because the yeasts for both recipes were the same. When I opened up the lid on the Oberon, however, there is still a thick head on it. I have never top cropped yeast before and I am trying to avoid going back to the LHBS. Can someone please explain to me exactly what I need to do to pull enough yeast off for this next batch.

Thanks, Scott...

I forgot to add, this is Wyeast #1010, which I have read is a true top cropping yeast. I guess I just need to know what you guys do. Just sterilize a cup and scoop it off of the top???

yes, best to do it on day 2 or day 3...then make a one quart starter with boiled and cooled wort solution.

I make a beer once every two weeks or so. At day three of fermentation I add a about a quarter cup of water to a canning jar and microwave it to steralize the water and cool. Distilled is best for yeast health. Scoop the yeast, get under the brown crust to the healthy yeast, and fill the jar. Close the jar and toss in the fridge until you're ready to make your next starter. If you make a batch a few days apart, you can just scoop the yeast right into the other fermenter. Use mr malty for that.

Make up a sterile starter, sanitize a spoon or wine thief, grab a sample of the fermenting beer and add to starter. This should be ready to go in 2-3 days. If it has been 7-10 days, you could move the original beer to a secondary and then put your new wort onto what is left. However, unless the beer is very high gravity, I believe you will get better results making a starter than pitching onto your entire yeast cake.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I tried cropping some off of the top but this is day 7 for the Oberon clone and when I went to actually scoop off of the top there wasn't much there. I pitched it in with the new batch, but I think I am going to have to do what pkeeler suggested. Just transfer the Oberon to a secondary and pitch the new batch on the yeast cake. Next time I will be better prepared and make sure I pull it off earlier and make a starter. I will give it until tomorrow morning to get going, but I am not hopeful. Thanks again!

I don't know how, but I must have had enough in there. It is going nuts right now. I think I may try my first yeast washing once I transfer the Oberon to the secondary. How long is it safe to keep the yeast after collecting it from a previous batch?

It all depends on how you store your yeast. It can vary wildly depending on whether or not you freeze, add glycol, starve the yeast, or any number of things. There's a lot of good information in the yeast washing article in the wiki, and I highly suggest you look into it.

I love top cropping and have often used it to directly inocculate a batch sitting right next to the one already fermenting.

I would recommend using something like Mr malty to work out proper pitching rates etc but I have had success simply scooping intuitive amounts from one to the other. The healthiest pitches I've ever had have come from top cropping.

Basically I sanitise a stainless steel ladle, scoop off froth at high krausen and either use directly or mix with cooled boiled water into a sanitised, sealed vessel for later use.

I make a beer once every two weeks or so. At day three of fermentation I add a about a quarter cup of water to a canning jar and microwave it to steralize the water and cool. Distilled is best for yeast health. Scoop the yeast, get under the brown crust to the healthy yeast, and fill the jar. Close the jar and toss in the fridge until you're ready to make your next starter. If you make a batch a few days apart, you can just scoop the yeast right into the other fermenter. Use mr malty for that.

i think distilled water might be very bad for the yeast. the low osmotic pressure can cause them to rupture

Latest posts

Back