Top Cropping White Labs WLP670 American Farmhouse Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soursessons

Reaction score
Here is my question. I am currently fermenting a Strong Golden Ale with WLP670. I know that this is a specific blend of a traditional saison yeast and brett. Both of these are known to be great top croppers. If i top crop this yeast and repitch by weight on an average cell weight how different does anyone think each generation will be or how many generations could I go before I see a dramatic difference?

I will be doing this and will keep this post up to date.

Follow my results @ http://soursessions.blogspot.com/

Since it's a blend, you're going to have a different ratio of saison yeast to brett yeast after top cropping. You really wont know the exact ratio you have because without a microscope and a scale you wont get an accurate measurement. You'll also experience vastly different taste profiles between batches. Still, experiment. It's the only way you'll know for sure. I'm doing an experiment with adjuncts and sours on the lambic board. I'll be reporting my results next year some time.

That is what I was actually thinking. I assumed the ratios would change. I am actually hoping for a house blend over a few generations. Not exactly sure how this will end up. Should be fun either way. Thanks for the input. My thought is I will actually loose some of the brett over time due to the saison yeast taking off quicker and this would be the time that I would be cropping it. We will see.

Latest posts

Back