Top Crop 100% Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocScott

Reaction score
Can I top crop from a 100% Brett beer?

I plan on brewing a 100% Brett IPA with WLP644 this weekend and was debating brewing a second brew in about a week and trying to use the same pitch. I've been reading a ton about these 100% Brett beers lately, but haven't seen too much about how it physically ferments. Anyone know anything about this or try it?

The primary doesnt look much different than a sacch primary, I suppose you could top crop but I don't have any experience doing that with an all Brett ferment. The wort going into my fermenter is so clean that I can usually harvest very fresh slurry from the bottom of the fermenter with a light wash. So Ive never felt the need to top crop.

Try it out and let us know how it goes, I would imagine it will work fine.

I don't see any reason why not, but in my (limited) experience brett doesn't throw up the thick layer that you get from true top-croppers, so it might be hard to collect enough for a pitch. I've occasionally top-cropped sacch strains that are like this (e.g. 3711), and then grown up what I cropped in a starter---so you could try that if you need a repitch soon. Otherwise it might be as well to just wash the yeast after the primary fermentation is complete.

Back