Top choice of yeast for a Quad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best yeast for a belgian quad?

• WLP 500 / Wyeast 1214?

• WLP 510?

• WLP 530 / Wyeast 3787?

• WLP 540 / Wyeast 1762?

• WLP 500 / Wyeast 3522?

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

dcp27

Reaction score
I'm brewing a quad this weekend and can't decide on what yeast to use. If it were up to you, what would be your top choice(s) to use?

just in case it effects anyones choice, grist is 74%pils, 15%munich, 10% sugar, 1% crystal.

edit: that last poll should say 550 / 3522

I love WLP 530, have had good success with it. I brewed a quad on 2 June og 1.090, pitched a 2 L starter of 530 and had to put a blow off tube on after 3 hours! checked it yesterday and it's at 1.020 still going strong. I plan on using that yeast cake for another quad in about 2 weeks.

I think this is a really interesting question.

You may want to read up a bit about each of the strains you listed, and see what beers they are used in, how they are handled, and what yeast would work best in your system.

Here is my quick breakdown.

A Belgian Quad is not a BJCP recognized style, but I guess is superficially similar to a Belgian Dark Strong (in color, flavor, and strength). I'd look at what strains are typically used in the classic examples of a dark strong, and start there.

For me, that narrows it down to Rochefort (WLP540), Chimay (WLP500), and Westvleteren (who got their yeast from Westmalle - (WLP530) - but handle their fermentation schedule completely different than Westmalle).

Personally, I am starting my Belgian-style education with WLP530 (and voted accordingly), but will be conducting fermentation in the way Westmalle does things - pitching at 64, and raising 1 degree a day for a week, topping things out around 70F. That just seemed to me like the most reasonable starting point, and in everything I read, people really seem to like the WLP530 strain.

Good luck, and I'd love to hear a follow up with your experiences.

Joe

I did a dark strong ale using 3787 that turned out very nice. Fermented like crazy, nice flavors. I would use it again.

I recently did a brew with 3522, but have not tasted it yet.

I think I like the profile of the Chimay strain the best. But another choice that's not on your list but that would make a great quad is Wyeast 3864-PC. It's the Unibroue yeast which also have a great profiles. It's a private collection so it's not available all the time. But I'd bet it would make one awesome quad. I'm dying to try it out for myself next time I see it.

Brewed a Belgian with 3787 last week and brewing another with 1214 tomorrow... which is my go to Belgian yeast. Depends on which flavor profile you enjoy the most. Really enjoy the Wyeast strains....make a big enough starter and watch your fermenting temps...good luck.

Thanks for the tips. 530/3787 is usually my go to belgian strain and its clearly been the poll favorite so far. I was thinking of changing it up for this, but now I'm not quite so sure. Maybe I'll just blend it with whatever the #2 choice is.

Please keep the suggestions coming :mug:

But another choice that's not on your list but that would make a great quad is Wyeast 3864-PC.

I actually have a few jars of that yeast and plan to use it on a partigyle from this.

I have 5 gallons of quadruple conditioning now. I used Wyeast Belgain Abbey 1214 and made a one liter starter. The O.G was 1.106 and the S.G. after 12 days in the primary was 1.016. The yeast worked great even though I probably under pitched it. So I don't think you can go wrong with this yeast.

I brewed a Dubbel with WLP530 a few weeks ago and it fermented quick & strong. Accidentally let it get to 78F before getting the temp under control (forgot to set my fridge thermostat, so it went crazy). Finished the ferment at 72 after getting it under control and the early samples taste great. Also a very flocculant yeast - very clear beer coming out of the fermenter after only two weeks.

In the future I'll try the Westmalle schedule instead.

Back