Tool Kit for 2006 Dodge Magnum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always driven older cars. The latest model year I ever owned was 1987, and newest was 9 years old when I bought it. So I carried a full set of tools with me, and spares in case of roadside repair. Well, I just went wild and bought a 2006 Hemi Magnum RT. I realized that I probably can't repair it very easily with a wrench, and probably won't need to very often. Still, I'd feel reckless without tools at all. So, for you DIYers with modern cars, what do you carry? I'm sort of thinking a set of box wrenches, pair of screwdrivers, adjustable and of course a vise grip.

Cell phone. It's the only tool you need to call the tow truck.
This is the most realistic answer.

I'm a former professional wrench turner, and I’ve had to keep up with the evolution of the internal combustion engine in order to keep things running on our farm, which is truly in the middle of nowhere.

Most things that will leave you stranded at the side of the road in a modern, digitally controlled, vehicle are things that can’t be fixed with a screwdriver and electrical tape.

Thanks guys. I'll probably still put a few tools and some rescue tape in the back. Honestly it's been years since I had to do a repair on the road anyway.

I traded in my 2007 300C about seven months ago. Nothing normal ever went wrong with that car. Replaced the oil pressure sensor x2, crank sensor, coolant bypass tube, and rebuilt the front suspension. That front suspension is a nightmare. It developed a slow radiator leak and was burning oil (2 quarts every 3k miles, despite Mobile One oil changes every 3k to 4k miles for its entire life), so I finally let it go.

If/when you rebuild the suspension, make sure to look at Pedders Suspension.

I'm a DIY guy - homebrewing, woodworking, cars, small engines, home repair, gardening, and if anything goes wrong on the car beyond a flat tire, I'm going to call roadside assistance and get a tow back home.

This is the most realistic answer.

I'm a former professional wrench turner, and I’ve had to keep up with the evolution of the internal combustion engine in order to keep things running on our farm, which is truly in the middle of nowhere.

Most things that will leave you stranded at the side of the road in a modern, digitally controlled, vehicle are things that can’t be fixed with a screwdriver and electrical tape.
I work at a ford dealer and agree with this. Not really much you can do these days. Just tow it and remember cars are now designed to last 5-10 years tops. Cheers

I have always driven older cars. The latest model year I ever owned was 1987, and newest was 9 years old when I bought it. So I carried a full set of tools with me, and spares in case of roadside repair. Well, I just went wild and bought a 2006 Hemi Magnum RT. I realized that I probably can't repair it very easily with a wrench, and probably won't need to very often. Still, I'd feel reckless without tools at all. So, for you DIYers with modern cars, what do you carry? I'm sort of thinking a set of box wrenches, pair of screwdrivers, adjustable and of course a vise grip.
Yeah , there isnt much the average owner can fix roadside anymore.
But I still carry a small toolbox in my Tundra for the same reason I carried one with my GM products. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

go around your vehicle at home and check the size and style fasteners first. No sense carrying something not even on your car. I will venture to guess most of them are going to be metric . I'm a union millwright and I have worked a few car plants. Almost 98% of the machinery Ive set used all metric fasteners and the cars coming out were similar.

Spark plugs...can you even see them or are they under the coil packs?

Basic vehicle "emergency kit"

4 way lug wrench
spare tire (check regularly,most people dont and when they need it ,its as flat as the one you're changing))
a quart of oil
can of fix-a-flat/slime
tire gauge
duct tape
maybe a length of vacuum hose.
spare fuses
wrench for battery terminals
flare kit
flashlight
12v tire inflator
(stocked) first aid kit
pad of paper and pen/pencil
hooded sweatshirt
hat/gloves
toilet paper
bottle of drinking water
a couple protein bars
Buy one of those 8 way screwdriver things. they include both styles and sizes screwdriver tips , torx, small nut driver . I keep one in my Harley as well.
anything else depends on your specific application .
If you're inclined - a sidearm .
otherwise a charged cell phone (spare charger/ cord)and the number to AAA and your insurance company.

Last edited:
I traded in my 2007 300C about seven months ago. Nothing normal ever went wrong with that car. Replaced the oil pressure sensor x2, crank sensor, coolant bypass tube, and rebuilt the front suspension. That front suspension is a nightmare. It developed a slow radiator leak and was burning oil (2 quarts every 3k miles, despite Mobile One oil changes every 3k to 4k miles for its entire life), so I finally let it go.

If/when you rebuild the suspension, make sure to look at Pedders Suspension.

I'm a DIY guy - homebrewing, woodworking, cars, small engines, home repair, gardening, and if anything goes wrong on the car beyond a flat tire, I'm going to call roadside assistance and get a tow back home.
arlington heights?...I was born and raised in Joliet

Flashlight, road reflectors, can of tire goo, tire inflator. These last two came with the car and no spare tire. When I moved from RI to FL, I bought the spare and jack.

Misc other tools that are not associated with car repair, since I was never able to do any on my own.

Cell phone and credit card.......

• 3' breaker bar (copper pipe works) for helping with tire lugs that were put on too tight with impact wrench
  • 12V air pump
  • AAA membership.

AAA is very useful if you've got kids all over creation with older cars. We have the family membership. Daughter's car breaks down, all she has to do is call the number on the card and a tow truck shows up. No charge for the tow. It can be used even if you're in someone else's car. One time I had the whole family in the minivan on the way to the cruise terminal in Port Canaveral. We were so close we could see the boats lined up there. Tranny decided to disintegrate right there. Disney sent a cart to pick everyone up and get us on the boat. I called AAA and left the keys on the dashboard. When we got off the boat a week later, I called AAA to figure out where my car was. It was fixed (rebuilt transmission) and ready for us to drive home.

I do most of the auto repairs here at home. If I can find a youtube video of it and it can be done without a lift, I do it. But on the road, the only thing I'll fix is a flat tire.

Here ya go-

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings."

"Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

I own 6 vehicles that run daily here in upstate New York State. I do 90% of my own maintenance. I also own an auto parts store and am a ASE certified master tech., although it's been years since I've turned wrenches for a living.

I honestly believe that today's cars are far more owner maintenance friendly than the cars of 30+ years ago. 30 years ago to be a good technician, one would have to know how to diagnose and repair vehicles eguipped with distributors, carburetors, starters, alternators and emissions systems made by umpteen different manufactures. You needed to set point gap, timing, dwell, and carburetor adjustments almost monthly, or any time you traveled to a significantly higher or lower elevations. Fuel economy sucked and power output really depended upon how "good" your tune was. Oil changes needed to be done every 3k miles or so, tires lasted less than 30k and rode like steel wheeled Amish buggies, and plugged fuel filters left you on the side of the road wishing my parts store was still open. If a 1970's AMC made it to 100,000 miles, it was surly ready to be scrapped.

In today's automotive world, anyone with the ability to google "my car is squallering in the front end" , or "my check engine light is on", can find a thousand u tube videos on what might be the issue. Most are pretty good. Today's vehicles will tell you that they have a cylinder misfire, and witch cylinder it is in. Hell, my wife literally just got an email saying that her left front tire is 1, yes 1, pound under inflated. Oils and filters are so much better that you can go 15k between changes. Cars regularly go 100k miles before needing a tune up. Tires last up to 80k miles and ride great the whole life cycle. A $50 code reader will tell you 90% of what you need to know to keep them running top notch. 35 miles to the gallon and 300 HP is common. And even the cheapest of cheap foreign cars will run for 300k miles before they are ready for the scrap yard. When was the last time you put a set of shocks on a car. In the 80's it was recommended every 20k miles!

My auto insurance company offers "road side Assistance" for like $10 a year or some absurdly cheap price, because they know that it is highly unlikely that my wife or I will be left on the side of the road in today's modern vehicles, even those not made by Ford.

The truth is that you just don't need a spare tire in today's world. A tow truck can be dispatched and on the way before you even put the car in park. A trained professional can come to your aid in an emergency vehicle, with the proper safety equipment, and get you and your ride back on your way With very little or no money out of pocket. All without you getting your hands dirty. Not to mention dealing with traffic, road rage, semi trucks and six lanes of people who would rather run you over than give you an extra inch of their highway.

Leave the tools at home. They are heavy, and every pound costs fuel economy. Use your phone.

Oh yeah, call me for the few parts your car needs. :eek:

Interesting view, my experience has been very different. The cars I drove all far surpassed 100k with little maintenance. I used to joke that I changed my oil once a year whether it needed it or not. The one I'm selling now has been stored outdoors for a dozen years and driven daily. It only has 108k on it, the engine isn't close to failing, nor the transmission. It did need an alternator and power steering pump, but it just turned 40. I admire the new cars too, and while the Magnum is probably more sensitive to neglect with it's high performance engine, I expect to drive it for a decade or so. Thanks for your well informed view, it contributes to the conversation.

I agree with Kirkwooder on most things.

Except: Modern car computers might tell you what is wrong, but the owner is unlikely to be able to fix it. I had a Chevy S10 pickup the developed a hesitation when driving at a constant speed. Any speed. I had it to 2 dealerships, 2 different independent mechanics and over 4 years trying to fix it. No one found the problem. (at least 8 times looking at the problem)

Modern cars are so plumbed that I don't even change my oil. On one car I couldn't even get to the oil filter without a lift. On my present car I don't even know where the oil filter is.

Here ya go-

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings."

"Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."
what...no bitcoins?

I'm going to suggest a different "kit" you might keep in your car--a breakdown/you can't fix it kit.

A few years ago there was an accident on the interstate south of Madison. It shut the whole thing down and people were forced to stay in their cars overnight. It got me thinking: if that happened to me, would I be ready to deal with it? Answer: no.

I've also seen people spun out of the roadway in a ditch in the winter; what if you're stranded there?

So I began thinking about it, trying to figure out what I might want or need in such a circumstance. Further, I live in Wisconsin; if I were stranded in an isolated area with no way to get help, what could I do? And what if it was wintertime? Thus the focus on things that might not appear to make sense if you live, say, in Florida.

I was a boy scout, you know their motto: Be Prepared.

Thus, I am. This kit is in my car and my wife's car, and both my kids have them in their cars. The kit includes $30 in cash in case the credit card/debit card system goes down and we need cash to buy gas. Or work a vending machine. Or whatever. It includes wire I could use to fix a hanging piece of exhaust system, duct-tape a loose fender in place, and so on.

So...consider a car kit, but not necessarily for repairs. Here's what's in mine:

GEAR/MISC
1. Package of Sharpie pen, some 3x5 cards, folded over pad of paper.
2. Multitool (Plus one in Glove Compartment)
3. Folding knives, (2)
4. Playing Cards (if you're bored; don't wear out cellphone battery w/ games)
5. Aluminum Foil, two squares
6. Hi-Visibility Vest
7. Flares, 3 (can be used to help start a fire if needed) (in wheel well)
8. Fix-a-Flat (in wheel well)
9. Jumper Cables (in wheel well)
10. Money--Four $5 bills, five $1 bills, $5 in change.
11. Four shop rags (red--on purpose)
12. First Aid Kit, includes Ibuprofen and Naproxen Sodium (Aleve)
13. Toilet Paper
14. String backpack (in case you need to move)

FIRE
1. Firestarting kit--Matches, 2 Lighters, Firesteel, Vaselined Cotton Balls.
2. Fatwood (for starting fires)
3. Firelighting squares
4. Plank wood, split, lining bottom of bag, for making fire.
5. Small bag of Popsicle Sticks (can be split smaller)
6. Folding Saw
7. Tealight/votive candles (for firestarting, thawing frozen water bottles)

PROTECTION FROM ELEMENTS/WARMTH
1. Bandana (headcovering, dust mask, tourniquet)
2. Gloves (3 pair)
3. Space (reflective) Blankets (2)
4. Six emergency candles, six Tea Light Candles, 2 Votive Candles
5. Handwarmers, 6 pair, in mylar w/ O2 absorber to keep fresh
6. Rain Ponchos (2) w/ hood
7. Small Blue Tarp (6x8)

FOOD/WATER
1. Granola Bars (Clif Bars)
2. Mainstay Lifeboat Rations
3. Water, bottled, in 1-gallon ziploc bags (6 bottles)
4. Candle Stand for thawing or warming water bottles.

REPAIR/RIGGING
1. Duct tape (8 yards wrapped around a pencil)
2. Paracord (50')
3. Zip Ties (7")
4. Zip Ties (14.5")
5. Electrical Tape
6. Wire, 16 ga., 50'

LIGHT
1. Extra Batteries (both AA and AAA)
2. Flashlight, Keychain LED (w/ solar recharge, in foil and wrapped)
3. Flashlight, incandescent
4. Flashlight, LED, 2 (one is in Glove Compartment)
5. Headlamp (LED

I also keep a blanket in the car in the winter, and if I'm traveling any distance boots and hats and gloves and such will be part of what I have with me.

The tarp can allow you to close off some of a van to reduce the area you might heat, or to provide a privacy screen for you-know-what.

Anyway, you might consider a different kind of kit.

I'm going to have fun with that. I have to remove a plate beneath the engine before I can change the oil. But I'm not paying $100 to have some goofy kid mess it up.

For the LX platform, it also helps to have a couple of extensions and an oil filter wrench of the proper size. The oil filter is on the passenger side, near the front of the motor. Hopefully yours still has the retaining clips on the lower air dam. I would up threading some bolts into the subframe to replace the retaining clips, but either way the lower air dam on the LX platform is an aggravating piece of plastic.

You could probably use a radiator flush and fill as well.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I already have a Leatherman in the car, a crosstree tire iron, jumper cables, tie down straps, a flashlight, an air pump and a shovel. I just bought some fuses.

I do my own wrenching. I carry

A combo set from 6mm to 19mm. Doesn't take up much room.

A multimeter-if you know how to use it-if not, leave it at home.

A few screwdrivers

Most importantly to me:
My programmer stays in my car. If the car throws a cel I can dig up info on the programmer. It also allows me to tune for different fuels while on the road. I usually install the 87 octane mileage tune on it for long trips. I get around 26mpg in my 2007 Shelby. When I get to my destination I install the 93 octane performance tune.

And don't tell me most repairs are beyond being performed away from home. Wife's Mazda broke down nearly 2000 miles from home. I found someone that let me borrow their garage at home and I pulled the motor, borrowed his pickup, drove to the next state and picked up a new motor, installed it the next day. All with basic hand tools.

I'm loving it. Today I actually went to work (I'm retired) and had to revive some of my commuting skills. Nothing like 350HP to help you squeeze through traffic.

I'm loving it. Today I actually went to work (I'm retired) and had to revive some of my commuting skills. Nothing like 350HP to help you squeeze through traffic.
That's great to hear. I'm not a big Dodge fan but I have always loved the Magnum. I'm sure it will make you a great car and that Hemi has proven itself as a rock solid performer. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back