Took a 1st place in "Son of Brewzilla" competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
American Pale Ale. Funny thing is, I didn't feel that was my strongest entry. At any rate, now I'm brewing award winning beers!

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Congrats! I saw the flyer for this the other day when looking for OH homebrew competitions. I've got a couple of things in the pipeline I think are really remarkable and that I want to enter somewhere.

I think the score sheets are excellent feedback; I entered my 2nd & third ever brews last years & used the comments to up my game.

-d

Here you go, pretty much a straight up APA:

Parkway Pale

10# 2 row Pale Malt
1# 60L

.5 oz Magnum 60 min
.75 oz Ahtanum 20 min
.75 oz Centennial 20 min
2 oz Ahtanum 2 min
.6 oz Cascade DH 14 days
.6 oz Centennial DH 14 days

Mash @ 152-154, cool, pitch healthy starter of 1272. Ferment & rack as usual. I went about 10 days @ 68*F Got about 81% efficiency for OG 1.059, 49 IBUs
You could probably sub Cascade for the Ahtanum-my experience w/ Cleveland water is that Cascade tends to get harsh over 15 mins.

-d

I also keep Cascade additions at the low end,10 minutes or less. Seems like a lot of hops for an APA to me @ 5.2oz total. I used 6oz in my IPA at 6G total volume,& it was at the flavor level of many regular IPA's I get around here. Sounds like a good combo though. Congrats on the win,I looked at that a few times myself.

Latest posts

Back