Too Soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A bit of explaination first, please bear with me...

I ordered a couple Cascade rhizomes in March, and started them out in a small-ish pot inside to give them a head-start. Soon enough I had half a dozen shoots or so breaking ground, and eventually a couple grew to 8-10". I wanted to start getting the longer shoots trained on a trellis, so I got some half-barrel planters and transplanted them outside yesterday. But I'm worried I may have jumped the gun. I guess with the warm start we had here in Michigan this year, I underestimated how long we'd still be getting frost overnight. I wasn't up early enough to see if we got frost, but it was pretty chilly this morning. I checked the shoots, and some of the leaves look a little wilted, so I think they got a little frostbit. The main bines look okay, and the smaller shoots that haven't opened up any leaves yet look okay, and there are a few smaller shoots still just beneath the dirt.

So here's my question - should I just trim back these longer shoots that may have gotten frostbit, and let the smaller, new ones take off? Or do I just let it be, and see if these longer bines will keep going? Either way, I'll cover the pots overnight from now on until the danger of frost is over.

let it go for now. see what happens. dont jump the gun yet. as it is their 1st year it is optimal to let all shoots grow. If it appears that they are to damaged after the cold is done trim then.

I agree, be patient & observe. I had two transplanted crowns get beaten up by frost about one month ago; both have recovered nicely.

wait to see if the growth tip turns brown. If it does just snip it off and a new one will sprout from the next leave node down.

+1 on letting them grow and see... I'm starting off some rhizomes here in MN... got several shoots coming up and they've been through two overnight freezes and an April snow and are still going strong..!

Is starting them indoors/potted necessary? Or can I go straight into the ground with some porting soil and miracle-gro mixed in? Thanks

Latest posts

Back