Too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grebnesor88

Reaction score
i was following a home brew recipe for a Belgian whitbier, and it said to put in half the yeast packet. I missed this part, and put in the whole packet.

Should I divide the fermentation time in half to compensate?

i was following a home brew recipe for a Belgian whitbier, and it said to put in half the yeast packet. I missed this part, and put in the whole packet.

Should I divide the fermentation time in half to compensate?

No, let it run its course. You still need to allow the yeast time to clean up after itself. It also depends on why a half-packet was specified. If intended as an underpitch so as to stress the yeast and produce flavors otherwise not possible, then you won't get the effect they intended, but it should still be beer and still be good.

Is the recipe for 5 gallons or something less?

No! Just ignore it and let it ride. No real issue here.

There is no such thing as a set "fermentation time". It will finish when it finishes.

What Silver says. Twice the yeast don't work twice as fast fermenting; just a little less lag time reproducing prior to fermenting. Kinda like that joke about the contractor dad asking his daughter if she's excited about the new baby brother coming a couple months after Christmas, and the daughter asks for the baby to come by Christmas; "Well, it isn't really something you can rush sweetie", so she says "Why don't you do what you do at work and just put more men on the job?"

No, let it run its course. You still need to allow the yeast time to clean up after itself. It also depends on why a half-packet was specified. If intended as an underpitch so as to stress the yeast and produce flavors otherwise not possible, then you won't get the effect they intended, but it should still be beer and still be good.

Is the recipe for 5 gallons or something less?

the recipe is for a 1 gallon, and the yeast packet was enough for 5 gallons

a typical dry yeast package is around 11.5g. Overkill for a 1 gallon batch, that’s why they specify half a pack. Significantly over pitching is not ideal, but it should be fine.

Back