Too Much Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCC

Reaction score
JUST PUT A BLACK ROCK PILSNER ON AND IT'S THE FIRST TIME I'VE USED A DIFFERENT YEAST THE ONE THAT COME WITH THE CAN HAD 5grms IN PACKET BUT THE ONE I PITCHED HAD 11.5grms HAVE I PUT TOO MUCH IN, IF SO WHAT WILL HAPPEN....... :( :confused: :( OCC

It shouldn't hurt it one bit. If anything it might not be enough. I just had to re-pitch my IPA last week because of stuck fermentation. The cake on the bottom was huge, but it worked like a charm. Now it's just sitting in the secondary carboy dry hopping for a few weeks. From now on i'm gonna do a starter.

Homebrewers are notorious for underpitching yeast. On a homebrew scale, it's almost impossible to over-pitch. Basically, more is better. Starters are definitely the way to go. You definitely did not put too much yeast in your beer.

Prosit!

i agree 100% w/ tnlandsailor. go with a good starter next time and your beer will love you for it! one of the easiest, best things you can do to improve your brews.....
good luck!

Remember that the first thing that yeast does when it is put in wort is multiply to an enormous population. Knowing that, it makes sense that adding more yeast is a good thing because it gives the yeast a head start, right?

Yeast isn't really an ingredient. You are introducing a life form to a nutritional medium that is reasonably devoid of life forms. It will do what it wants from there.

Cheers :D

Thanx Boyz Totally Makes Sense What You Have Pointed Out, Just A Normal Aussie Always Wanting To Make The Best Brew He Can And Getting Scared When Something Don't Go To Plan..... ;)

Back