Too much water. What can I expect?ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
Well, the mystery of why my og was so low is solved. I thought the Cooper's can said U.S. 6gal. It must've been 5 gallons cause when I put that number in the beer calculator, I get the 1.060 I was supposed to get.

It's 7 days old and it went from og 1.050 down to 1.006. I put in my hops for the last week. I tasted the wort and it was just as lousy as most of my other brews at this stage. Only one I ever liked was an oatmeal stout.

What happens to a beer when you use too much water (by a gallon)? Anybody else do this and it turned out o.k.?

Should I bottle it in a week or so anyway?

I did this once -

You made beer, it's just weaker beer with less body on it but hey, it's beer. 1.050 is a solid OG, you just turned your IPA into a PA, lessened the IBU, ABV, color is probably lighter than expected. If I were you I would bottle it like you normally would but adjust your sugar solution for priming with the extra gallon accordingly.

Session beer, we all have some - most of us at least. Now you do to. Enjoy it. :) Just read a little closer next time.

*Edit* I've got you at 6%abv so it's still going to pack a punch, just a little less body and a little less on the malt flavors.

Cooper's kits are brewed to 23L,or 6.072 US gallons by the formula L x .264 = US Gallons. But cutting the water to 5.5G will add about 6 points of gravity by my experience on the last batch. I have to get a second FG,but it looks like it'll be about 1.010. I'll find out later.

I did this once -

You made beer, it's just weaker beer with less body on it but hey, it's beer. 1.050 is a solid OG, you just turned your IPA into a PA, lessened the IBU, ABV, color is probably lighter than expected. If I were you I would bottle it like you normally would but adjust your sugar solution for priming with the extra gallon accordingly.

Session beer, we all have some - most of us at least. Now you do to. Enjoy it. :) Just read a little closer next time.

*Edit* I've got you at 6%abv so it's still going to pack a punch, just a little less body and a little less on the malt flavors.

Thanks JS. I might like it. I know my wife will. She's not fond of the higher IBU beer.

Cooper's kits are brewed to 23L,or 6.072 US gallons by the formula L x .264 = US Gallons. But cutting the water to 5.5G will add about 6 points of gravity by my experience on the last batch. I have to get a second FG,but it looks like it'll be about 1.010. I'll find out later.

Keep me updated. I'd like to know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back