Too much water - Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camride

Reaction score
Ok, so I put too much water when I was steeping my specialty grains (doing an extract kit) and once I added my LME I had almost no room in my kettle. I had to take almost a gallon out and put it in another pot.

I'm doing an IPA so I'm putting all the hops in the big 5 gallon kettle. I've got the other ~1 gallon in another pot. I'm assuming I still need to boil the small pot for ~15 minutes for it to hit it's hot break correct? Or do I need to boil it for the same amount of time as the big pot.

The good thing is I shouldn't need to add any water at the end to hit my 5 gallons. :cross: But I definitely didn't intend to be brewing in two pots....

I think you'd be fine just boiling it 15 minutes for sanitation purposes. Probably don't even need to do that, but better to do it to be on safe side.

A lot of people don't add most of the extract until near the end of the boil. Supposed to turn out better that way. I don't think the hot and cold breaks are much of an issue with extract brews.

Cool, thanks. I boiled it for about 15 minutes then turned the burner off. Once my primary kettle had boiled enough liquid off I added the other pot back to the primary. Everything is looking good now. :)

From what I have read adding the extract late in the boil does help, but it was also throw off the amount of hops needed along with other things. But since you are doing an ipa it wouldn't be noticeable IMO. Yes you would need to boil the extra gallon cuz many things happen other than just the mixing of the ingredients. Boiling actually gets rid of things that you don't want in your beer that can throw off the flavor and whatnot.

Back