Too much trub when I collected yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glugglug

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first time with a conical fermenter. Decided to capture the yeast to re pitch. This is a 7 gallon conical. I opened the valve and ran in a pitcher about a pint and a half of trub, to be thrown out. I then collected in a mason jar the rest of what still looked like trub to me then beer. I was worried I might be pitching good yeast. The mason jar is 64 ounces and I'd say it's about 2/3 full. I shook it up and left it on the counter for at least an hour and a half, and maybe it had an inch of separation on it. I the put it in the refrigerator and it's been there for about 30 hours. There's only about 4 ounces of separation now. What should I do? I'm thinking of adding some sterile water and washing it.

Yes, wash it with pre-boiled/chilled or sterile water and give the container several hours to settle in the fridge. Then pour off the top layer and keep the middle creamy layer in a a small jar. Discard any green/truby gunk at the bottom.

Based on your description, you have 30-40 oz slurry and should get (I guess) 10-20oz washed yeast when it's all said & done, which is enough for a few 5 gal batches.

Over time you'll find that yeast saving/washing will vary based on the yeast variety and amt of hops/trub in the fermenter. Also, less hoppy and cold fermented beers beers, like a cream ale or Helles will often give a cleaner yeast slurry.

When I let the slurry/boiled water mix sit for extended periods, such as several hours, I can't separate the yest from the trub - I am never able to find the yeast layer. I start boiled and chilled water and then let it sit in the fridge for 20 - 30 minutes. I get much cleaner yeast this way and then use it to make a starter.

Latest posts

Back