Too much Tettnag; must brew more beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
We should all have such problems.

My LHBS gave me 4oz of tettnang instead of .4oz of tettnang. Obviously, I need to build a batch around these extra hops. But what?

I think I'd like to brew something that highlights the hop; I haven't done that yet with tettnang. Could anyone give me some ideas?

Tet is a nice noble-style hop. You can use it for almost anything other than an APA/AIPA. It's great for almost any Continental style beer.

That sounds like something I would use in an imperial pils. Try 2 oz at 90, an oz at 30 and an oz at 2. Shoot for a high og, something around 1.080, with just pilsener and cara pils, maybe very little caramel 10 or 20.

Sadly, I lack the ability to do lagers, although I'm getting slowly closer. I wonder if a pilsner recipe would work with US-05?

Why not trying it ? Can you keep it cool? If so, you can use Saflager dry yeast. I have a german pils recipe that i ferment at 20 and it taste perfect.

You can also do a bock.

I read in a mag you can use us-o5 , ferment as cool as you can, then after the beer is bottled and carbed, leave the bottles in the fridge for a couple months, and it will taste like a lager. or you could use Wyeast 2112, or the White Labs equivalent, they are lager yeasts that can ferment in the low 60's.
most recipes I've seen that used Tettnang hops have been lagers, but I think you could probably use them in any european ale style. Wouldn't work well in American ales though.

I got thinking after reading the replies to this thread, and this is what I came up with. What do you all think?

Extra Tettnang SMaSH APA
10# maris otter
2oz tettnang 60min
1oz tettnang 10min
.5oz tettnang dry hop
S-05
Mash at 152*F.

I got thinking after reading the replies to this thread, and this is what I came up with. What do you all think?

Extra Tettnang SMaSH APA
10# maris otter
2oz tettnang 60min
1oz tettnang 10min
.5oz tettnang dry hop
S-05
Mash at 152*F.

Why use ALL 4oz in the same beer? Tettnang is a preferred bitter hop for me. Cut the 2oz addition to 1.5 and add aroma of .5 at 10min. Save the other 2 oz for your next pale. Perle is another solid bitter hop for me. Very clean. Or if you can fit a small 2.5 or 3 gal bottle in your fridge, use that to make a german lager w the tettnang. Can't go wrong either way.

Jump on the Doppelsticke bandwagon! I used 4oz Hersbrucker in a 2.5G batch. Malty, spicy and delicious. I think brewing a Tet Offensive version would be good as well. Here's the largely unsolicited recipe.

6 Lt Munich
1.5 wheat
.125 Pale chocolate (just for color, you could use carafa or whatever or omit entirely)
Rice hulls
Mash 8qt at 155, sparge 10qt
.33 Millenium 45 (use any hop to get 30-35 IBUs)
1 Hallertauer FWH
3 Hallertauer steep 20 min
WLP036, (us-05 would work fine, just a little more attenuative, which the beer could have used as it aged)
1.087/1.020/8.7%
60ibu, 24srm

Sam Adams Alpine Spring is all Tettnang... to give you an idea of its profile. You can also use a Kolsch yeast to get closer to a "Lager" style if you can keep temps around 60.

Sam Adams Alpine Spring is all Tettnang... to give you an idea of its profile. You can also use a Kolsch yeast to get closer to a "Lager" style if you can keep temps around 60.

I did not know that, just finished off a couple of sixers. Sure enough! Says right on the neck label. That is a pretty tasty brew - I'd definitely be interested in making something along the same lines in the future when I have lagering capability.

Jump on the Doppelsticke bandwagon! I used 4oz Hersbrucker in a 2.5G batch. Malty, spicy and delicious. I think brewing a Tet Offensive version would be good as well. Here's the largely unsolicited recipe.

6 Lt Munich
1.5 wheat
.125 Pale chocolate (just for color, you could use carafa or whatever or omit entirely)
Rice hulls
Mash 8qt at 155, sparge 10qt
.33 Millenium 45 (use any hop to get 30-35 IBUs)
1 Hallertauer FWH
3 Hallertauer steep 20 min
WLP036, (us-05 would work fine, just a little more attenuative, which the beer could have used as it aged)
1.087/1.020/8.7%
60ibu, 24srm

That looks great! The highest I have gone in any beer with Tett is 2oz. I mainly use it to bitter and then I use different hops for aroma. It is a staple hop in many of my beers.

That looks great! The highest I have gone in any beer with Tett is 2oz. I mainly use it to bitter and then I use different hops for aroma. It is a staple hop in many of my beers.

It was great. Very rich, almost milkshake-like texture, but not cloyingly sweet. I need to make another batch, you know, after I make the other dozen I have on the drawing board.

There is a thread where we are attempting to clone the alpine spring. Most of us are using kolsch yeast and fermenting at warmer than lager temps but cooler than ale temps. Could be an option...

It was great. Very rich, almost milkshake-like texture, but not cloyingly sweet. I need to make another batch, you know, after I make the other dozen I have on the drawing board.

Oh, I know that problem. I can't even get one fermenter empty buying the grain for my next three or four batches. My better half regrets the day she bought me a Mr. Beer kit:D

There is a thread where we are attempting to clone the alpine spring. Most of us are using kolsch yeast and fermenting at warmer than lager temps but cooler than ale temps. Could be an option...

What is the recipe? What kolsch yeast are you using?

Back