Too much Stabilizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddcow

Reaction score
Sorry if this is covered often. I tried looking but couldn't come up with definite answer. I just made a sweet cider and added Wilko stabiliser to the finished product. The ingredients include Sodium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate. The directions indicated to add 1 tsp per gallon (of wine). I added 4 tsp to my corney keg and about 4.5 gallons of cider. After tasting, it seems super salty and maybe sulfury. Is this something that will dissipate over time? or did i just ruin it? Looking back, I think I always added 1-2 tsp, but I haven't made cider in such a long time that i just went with the directions.

Sorry if this is covered often. I tried looking but couldn't come up with definite answer. I just made a sweet cider and added Wilko stabiliser to the finished product. The ingredients include Sodium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate. The directions indicated to add 1 tsp per gallon (of wine). I added 4 tsp to my corney keg and about 4.5 gallons of cider. After tasting, it seems super salty and maybe sulfury. Is this something that will dissipate over time? or did i just ruin it? Looking back, I think I always added 1-2 tsp, but I haven't made cider in such a long time that i just went with the directions.

Did you taste it before you added the the sulfite/sorbate? Its possible the sulfur taste (or really smell) was already there. How long did you age it? Find out how much Sulfites are in 1tsp because that is the one that will effect the flavor not the sorbate. If I had to guess your cider had that taste to begin with.

Did you taste it before you added the the sulfite/sorbate? Its possible the sulfur taste (or really smell) was already there. How long did you age it? Find out how much Sulfites are in 1tsp because that is the one that will effect the flavor not the sorbate. If I had to guess your cider had that taste to begin with.

Thanks for the reply. It was aged maybe only a month before i added the stabiliser. Do I age it after? I did taste it beforehand and it was good. I didn't notice any off flavors tasting the hydrometer sample. It was after I back sweetened it and added the stabiliser that it became what i would say is salty. It became undrinkable. I tried it again today and it seemed to have mellowed out quite a bit. This leads me to believe that it didn't get evenly distributed when I first kegged it. Maybe it didn't all dissolve and sank to the bottom near the diptube. I am not completely sure. It still does have an off taste to it but definitely not as bad. I will still try and find out what the ratio of sulfites to sorbate is in my stabiliser. Also, if it is the sulfites, will the taste ever go away or mellow with time?

Also, if it is the sulfites, will the taste ever go away or mellow with time?

Eventually, I am not 100% sure it will go away in the keg but others have made me believe it will. You probably want to shake and mix the keg if you can without any issues. Oxygen gets rid of the sulfites so you basically want to oxidize it at least slightly.

Latest posts

Back