too much priming sugar in keg! oh no!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spunkmeyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my maiden voyage into kegging has already become a fiasco. :(

When I primed the keg today I stupidly used 5oz of priming sugar instead of 2.5oz... I'll blame it on the fact I bottled a batch this morning and then kegged this afternoon (yeah, that's it...)

If I plan to vent the keg every day for the next week or so, should that keep it from being overcarbonated before I hook it up to gas? I also drew off a half pint or so after it had settled in the hopes that some sugars were drawn off from the bottom as well.

Any thoughts on this plan? Anything better I should be doing? Thanks!

I recently tried to naturally carbonate a keg using half the priming sugar (2.5 oz) as recommended and my beer was drastically under-carbed. I ended up force carbing it. If I were you, I would let it carb as is and see how it turns out, unless 5oz would give you too many volumes of CO2 for the beer's style.

I know a few folks on here bought or rigged up a regulator that they put on their keg when they naturally carb so they can see what pressure it's at, and set it to vent when it reaches a certain point. Might search around for that.

i don't see overcarbonation as much of a problem - getting CO2 out of beer should be easy! just vent, shake, wait for it to settle, vent.... etc.

You could also turn your pressure relief valve on the lid out a couple turns or so, until it naturally vents the overpressure.

It will be fine. Just wait until it's fermented out, and check the carbonation. Make sure you pull the pressure relief valve before you hook it up to the gas, so that you don't get any beer flowing back into your regulator, and then hook it up. I don't think it'll be overcarbed, or at least not by very much. If it is, then you can release some of the pressure.

Let it carbonate and condition. Then chill to serving pressure. After drawing off two pints to clear the yeast, vent and place on CO2.

Thanks to everyone... sounds like I'm definitely worrying about this too much. As I said, I'm new to kegging... it's a brave new world! :)

Latest posts

Back