Too much priming sugar, but barely carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatMan

Reaction score
So I made a big mistake and didn't realize it until now. I tried a bottle of my oatmeal stout (now 2 weeks since bottling) and its not very carbonated yet. I looked back at the directions and I put 3/4 of a pound of corn sugar in to prime instead of 3/4 of a cup. Any suggestions? I suppose I should get them out to the garage and off the carpet, its been around 64-66 degrees the last 2 weeks as well. Thanks for any help.

Holy Smokes! 12 ounces instead of 5 is not good. I think the only reason you have not had bombs is that you are keeping it too cold to ferment. Don't let those babies warm up without popping the caps off. I don't have any sage advice for you other than to get those bottle caps off before they blow up.

should I let them ferment in the colder temp until they reach a decent level of carbonation and then toss them in the fridge?

Take the caps off! ASAP!
maybe just dump it CAREFULLY back into a fermentor and let the yeast run it's course. Then try again with 5 oz of sugar. There really isn't a good way to take care of this except to take care that you don't do it again.

Good Luck...and Be Careful!

I would be wearing protective eyewear when I get within 100 feet of those bombs LOL

OR - get a beer buddy to help and shield yourself!

I think they are using those in Iraq now!

Back