Too much headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
Did I leave too much space for the krausen? It was hard to tell when I was adding water. There was about 2 inches of head from pouring the wert in. If I messed it up, it's no biggie, I have an extra kit of the same thing on the way. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413250034.759366.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would say for primary, that's no problem. For an extended secondary, you may want to rack to a smaller container if possible.

I would say for primary, that's no problem. For an extended secondary, you may want to rack to a smaller container if possible.

'Fraid not. That's my primary and secondary. I don't rack to secondary Besides that's as small as it gets. I could bottle it in two weeks...

You'll be fine. I routinely ferment 5-5.25 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy for several weeks. No problem. What's the brew?

You'll be fine. I routinely ferment 5-5.25 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy for several weeks. No problem. What's the brew?

Pumpkin Ale. I messed up the recipe a little though. I failed to read it before hand. It also required canned pumpkin so I was like "what the hell, it's $20 for another AG Kit". Worse case scenario, I have 50 good bottles of pumpkin and 40 okay bottle of pumpkin.

Back