too little headspace in corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
is there such thing as too little headspace when you fill a keg?

I've got a 1.6 gal keg I've been using on camping weekends. I've found if I trim the gas tube flush I can get some more pints in the keg but the head space is now minimal.

I'm filling from a 5 gal keg thru the beer post so the keg purges out the gas post as it fills. But once it reaches the gas tube, no more beer will fill the keg and it just vents beers out out. Trimming the gas post allows extra beer in the keg but the headspace disappears.

any issues with this? other than be careful to not get beer into your regulator when it's time to tap it.

Other than having to be careful to keep beer out of the regulator, there's only one downside that I know of. If the beer is filled to the point that it gets above the transition from the straight sides to sloped/curved top, there will be less surface area, which will slow down set-and-forget carbonation.

there will be less surface area, which will slow down set-and-forget carbonation.
beer is fully carbed in the source keg.

I'm just moving finished and carbed beer into a mini keg for "remote drinking ops".

"remote drinking ops"
At a secure undisclosed location?

What are you using for serving pressure? I guess your risk of getting beer in the regulator (if you're using one) is minimal but not nonexistent if you fill until beer comes out the gas post. Guess you can pour whatever will come out without pressure before you put the regulator on.

Last edited:
I top it with some extra pressure. after the first pint or so I'll hook up gas cartridges to keep pushing it.

Back