Too much gap? Element punchout hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbognerks

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm beginning to get my electric brew rig in working order. One thing I am unsure of is getting my elements to seal properly so there is no leaking. I am planning on using the method that TheElectricBrewery.com uses, but I have a question about the punchout size and sealing it.

I really didn't want to pay $70 for a single 1 1/4 in radio punch. I did some hunting and found this at harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-91201.html

It says it goes up to 1 1/4 but when I measured it in store, the largest one actually makes about a 1 1/2 in hole. The second largest makes about a 1 3/8 in hole. Well I decided to buy it since it was only 1/8 bigger than what was required. I wanted to see if it would work. If it doesn't I'd just take it back. Well here is where my question comes. In the images below, do you think I'll have any problems sealing the elements. There is no light getting through, even if I push it all the way to one side. So I think if I use the method TEB uses, I shouldn't have any problems. Just looking for some reassurance.

By the way, this is a trial run on the lid I cut out of my sankey keg. The punchout sliced through with just a little effort :D

img0195sr.jpg

img0194yx.jpg

The punches are designed to punch a hole for a pipe with the ID listed on the punch. (ie you have about a 1/8 in wall giving you a final OD of 1-1/2 in. I would say though the gasket dosent pass through the hole you should be fine.

Yes those punches are designed to punch holes for conduit. The size listed is for conduit listed at that size, the hole is actually bigger than that. Greenlee makes punches for conduit and actual size holes. You have to be careful and get the correct ones.

Barry

I ended up just Silver Soldering them. I think this was a better idea anyways and was super easy. Thanks for the input guys.

Back