Too much Foam not enough carbonation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngryAndy

Reaction score
Hi,
I kegged my first batch of IPA last week. It turned out great but I've got a bit of an issue. I put the IPA on 30psi for 2 days, then backed it off to 12psi. I let it sit for another few days in the kegarator at roughly 36F.

When I pour a pint I get about 5 to 6 inches of foam on EVERY SINGLE POUR. Second problem - when you look at the actual body of the beer under the foam I see very few bubbles. Almost none. I had better carbonation with priming.

What am I doing wrong?

How long is your beer line? The general consensus is 1 foot per PSI, so you'd be looking at a 12 foot line for best results. I have roughly 8 foot lines and do ok at 10 PSI, so you might be ok going shorter than 12.

Edit: I'm assuming 3/16 beer line...

im new to kegging but in order for someone to answer your question theyre going to need to know size and length of your tubing and any other specifics you can give on your system. sorry i couldnt be of any help myself

I have the same 'issue' when I force carbonate - the problem is that you simply haven't given the beer enough time for the CO2 to make its way into the beer all the way. Give it a week at your 12psi and the problem will not exist.

I agree with standpoint. I had this issue when I force carbed my first thick ipa. I force carbed two beers the same way and same time. One was good the other was just like yours.

I let it sit another day at 10 psi and it was fine. Give it a little time.

It sounds like you did everything right. I am guessing that the serving lines are only 5-6' long, and that is the cause. I have a picnic tap set up right this minute that was carbed the same way in my fridge (no kegerator here at our winter quarters in S. Texas) but I needed 12' of line to serve it correctly.

I have 12' of beer line coiled up and zip-tied to the top of the keg, and it serves perfectly.

I just force carbed a keg. I keep mine at 38 degrees and I put it on 30 psi for 36 hours. That 36 hours was up at 8 and I just couldn't resist pouring a glass of this rye ipa. Almost completely carbed throughout but not quite. No crazy foam at all...about 1/4 inch head. I use 7ft beer lines and picnic taps.

View attachment 1422235491245.jpg

Back