Too Much DAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landsknechte

Reaction score
I added not exactly 1 tablespoon of DAP (very flat tbsp, not 100% full) along with about 1/3 teaspoon of yeast nutrient to my gallon batch of wildflower honey must. I realized that I'd done too much after I'd added it to the liquid. Apparently it was supposed to be a teaspoon for a gallon, give or take. I'm assuming I doubled the amount.

Mind you, the yeast I used is Lavlin RC-212 aka Bourgovin. This yeast is of course a bit of a nutrient hog. I am wondering if I am still okay or if I screwed this batch up.

Thanks.

Yes it is a lot of Nutrient up front in a one gallon batch and early on may give you kind of a phosphate sulfur flavor in your Mead.

I in fact did do something similar, actually added nearly 3Xs the DAP I should have to a 5 gallon batch.

The good news is that the yeast will try to gobble up more of everything and will use as much of the nutrient as it can. Be sure to de-gas and aerate twice a day to 1/3 sugar break.

The other good news is you're fine, if it does cause some off flavor it will very likely age out. (12 - 24 months.)

Back