Too long in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirefightingBrewer

Reaction score
So I created a brown ale in late October and transferred it to the secondary on November 5th. Now before you ask, I have not even looked at this since putting into the secondary so I have no idea what it looks like. I assume that it will be fine if there is nothing nasty floating around in it? just trying to get a little assurance. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I am two days shy of 7 weeks so it's definitely been in there a while. I am hoping to get it bottled up tomorrow afternoon. I think this is the longest I have ever waited for anything...well besides my kids...LOL

I've had regular beers 6 months in secondary. Just keep the airlock filled and everything is fine. Many higher gravity beers condition better in bulk than in the bottle. I have some going on a year in secondary, but they are sour beers, and planned to be in the fermenter that long.

Thanks Calder and Shoreline, that was enough to put me at ease...well until you said keep the airlock filled. I have not even looked at it since putting it in the secondary and as I sit here at work waiting for 7am to come that is all I can think about..hahaha. Oh well, tomorrow could be a good day or it could be a bad day, we shall see.

My Christmas beer sat in secondary from early August to early November. Came out crystal clear (well, it's dark, but not opaque anyway) and slightly carbed. +1 to keeping the airlock full and letting it do its thing, if you're not ready to bottle.

Edit: Even if the airlock contents have evaporated, the beer could easily be doing fine if there's not a boatload of headspace.

I had a dark ale in 'secondary' (49F) for 18 months. I'm drinking it as we speak and it tastes amazing!

That is indeed some patience. The worrying has subsided a little thanks to everyone. I look forward to getting this bottled, or at least checking on it tomorrow.

I do want to try a high gravity beer, or some other special brew in the spring and letting it sit for 8 months or so, just to try it. Most of my beers have been IPA's (my favorite), Reds, Browns and a few low-key stouts and porters, but nothing requiring extensive primary/secondary fermentation. Any good suggestions?

Thanks again for the feedback and look forward to learning even more.

A secondary is meant to bulk age beer. There should be no reason why you would think there would be an issue with using extended secondaries.

It's probably the best beer you've ever made.

Any issues with the secondary is due to a failure in the container and seals(stress crack that finally gives way for example) or failure due to user error (poor sanitation, no airlock, no liquid in airlock.

The one time I've had an issue... I'm still not sure how it happened, if it was due to a gap that allowed fruit flies to get in, or that I didn't clean the keg out well enough (I usually secondary in kegs though I do have one or two carboys that I use), since it turned to vinegar with wierd bits floating around. Let me tell you, I'll be cleaning it out and replacing all the rings.

The other secondaries have been fine.

Back