too long in the secondary? need extra yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard1414

Reaction score
i have 5 beers brewing at the same time right now. i would have bottled them two weeks ago, however, life interfered with my plans (as always) and i'm wondering, should i use another pack of yeast when i administer the priming sugar? i know this is probably a silly question, but i would rather be overly cautious than have roughly 150 bottles uncarbonated beer. i appreciate any input.

redbeard!

P.S. for anyone who comments with "get carboys" i do have some, but i'm saving them for some other batches. these 3 will most likely go to friends, otherwise i would have 86'ed the whole bottling thing looooonnng ago.

p.s. get carboys? why would that change anything?[/QUOTE]

sorry, apparently i need to drink more coffee before i post. i meant to say "Corny Kegs" instead of carboys (of course i have those :) ). i've just seen too many times that when i saw threads for bottling that someones interjects with "why bottle when you should keg?" just wanted to elaborate why i'm not kegging there particular batches. sorry for the post-as-soon-as-i-wake-up mistake.

sorry, apparently i need to drink more coffee before i post. i meant to say "Corny Kegs" instead of carboys (of course i have those :) ). i've just seen too many times that when i saw threads for bottling that someones interjects with "why bottle when you should keg?" just wanted to elaborate why i'm not kegging there particular batches. sorry for the post-as-soon-as-i-wake-up mistake.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I hate that too. FWIW, I have all the equipment necessary for kegging, and yet I still bottle all of my beers. I certainly understand the appeal of kegging, but some people around here shill it like they're getting a spiff on every setup sold.

People have gone months without having problems. I would think you would be fine without re-pitching any when bottling.

You will be fine, I've had my stout in secondary since November (it's still there). Also, at least a batch or two of my beer gets stuck in secondary for a long time each year and they always work out.

I also have all the equipment for kegging and have yet to fill a keg.. I don't know why I havent gotten around to it.. Oh right, I'm out of star-san and havent gotten my tank filled, or built my kegerator.. OK so I have most of the stuff for kegging - kegs, lines, taps, empty Co2 tank - I could just make an english ale and serve it at room temperature like the brits do.

lol same here SPR-GRN, i have almost all the stuff needed for my kegging system. in all honesty i love kegging, but there is a certain joy i get out of coming home from a long days (or nights rather, since i work midnight shift) and cracking open a glass bottle. phew, thanks for relieving me of my paranoia guys. it's really appreciated. :)

Back