too hoppy 2 dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesfromdogriver

Paw paw James from dog River
Reaction score
1 gallon half pound dme and 2 pounds Pilsen malt grains. I steeped the grains over an hour boiled for an hour adding in the dme to get my gravity up. added a quarter cup cascade to the boil at beginning. What can i do to make this not come out so nasty yet still have a nice kick like this batch had? Thanks

Not sure if its exact but a 1/4 cup of hops comes out to about 2 ounces . Dont know how accurate measurements from a liquid scale to dry scale can be .

If in fact it came out about 2 oz at the beginning its no wonder its really hoppy. I brew 5 gallons and I'm only putting .75 oz @60. Of course Magnum has a higher AA then Cascade , but Cascade can be from 5% - 9%AA . For a 1 gallon batch this may be why its too bitter for your taste. It probably would be for me as well.

What yeast was used and what was your OG and FG ?

The OG was up there over 1.045 didnt measure the FG safale05 was my yeast I have one them herb balls in the kitchen gadgetry I may put the hops in that and remove them after the boil. What you think?

1 gallon half pound dme and 2 pounds Pilsen malt grains. I steeped the grains over an hour boiled for an hour adding in the dme to get my gravity up. added a quarter cup cascade to the boil at beginning.

Base malts need to be mashed, not steeped. 2 oz of bittering hops in a one gal recipe is way, way to many.

What can i do to make this not come out so nasty yet still have a nice kick like this batch had?
Start with a proven recipe. Scale it to the equipment you are using.

For this batch, you might consider blending it with another beer. I'm generally in favor of trying blending, but with this recipe you may be wasting good beer to fix a bad beer.

the one gallon community is active and on the rise, but until one of them weighs in... take a 5 gallon pale ale recipe, divide it by 5 and viola.

I caint find no recipes I know i am shooting from the hip.
Consider getting a copy of the book How To Brew. It will explain mashing, it will explain hop utilization, it will have recipes. 4th edition is the most recent edition. It will pay for itself as it will prevnt dumping a lot of bad beer.

I will look into it the kit I got was missing hops and directions it wasnt too bad. I used cascade too much of it. The second batch was a glen and friends clone equally disappointing.

I will look into it the kit I got was missing hops and directions it wasnt too bad. I used cascade too much of it. The second batch was a glen and friends clone equally disappointing.

I recommend getting this 1 Gallon Irish Red kit.

I would also recommend using distilled water from the store to brew it.

I've brewed this a few times and it came out very good nice and smooth.

Also throw your hops in the freezer when you get the kit if you don't plan on brewing for a few days then bring them out of the freezer a couple of hours before brewing.

Brew on!

Last edited:
When I bought this brewing stuff on facebook marketplace this book came with it. I might oughta give it a look see.
IMG_4933.JPG

When I bought this brewing stuff on facebook marketplace this book came with it. I might oughta give it a look see.
That's the book I read when I started brewing. Outdated, but lots of good info.

Edit: Mine is The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing, which I think is older than yours - not sure about how outdated yours might be.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I had 3 beers left from the batch, tried one just now, to my surprise it ain't bad, I guess you gotta let em sit a minute and mature. This one cleared up nice and mellowed out fine! Very nice much nicer than a month ago! I can't believe how much a month or 2 does!
too hoppy too dry.JPG

Back