Too Easy Apple wine from concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatcleaver

Reaction score
4 cans frozen Apple juice concentrate (thawed)
1 (heaping) cup brown sugar
1 handful golden raisins
Apple juice to 1 gallon

ec-1118

og was 1.110
I evidently didn't measure fg... guessing about .990

this is really good at 1 year old.

ignore the condensation... this is brilliantly clear

IMG_20160401_011407542.jpg

Im doing something similar today but im just using FAJC to boost the OG a little. I normally add sugar but i want to see how the Wyeast cider yeast turns out. Hoping for a dry but strong apple flavor.

3 12oz cans Old Orchard FAJC
Sams apple juice from pressed apples (enough to fill the carboy)
1/2 tsp FermaidK

I am also a fan of using FAJC for both flavor and mouth feel. In the average 5 gallon batch along with other things, I add 20 cans of FAJC. Not only does it bolster the sugar level, but the bit of concentrated tannin and acid the concentrate has really comes across after fermentation has finished.

4 cans frozen Apple juice concentrate (thawed)
1 (heaping) cup brown sugar
1 handful golden raisins
Apple juice to 1 gallon

ec-1118

og was 1.110
I evidently didn't measure fg... guessing about .990

this is really good at 1 year old.

I am going to try your recipe except I am going to use 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast. I have said in other posts how amazing the fruit flavors are when 4184 become when fermented below 60F. My "plain" apple wine that became ice cider developed flavors of peach and pear and cantaloupe using 4184 and fermenting below 60F. I thought, Why not?" We are commonly adding fruits to ciders anyway... Now I just have to wait a year to see what it tastes like in the future. This yeast naturally leaves residual sugar behind adding to the intense-ness of the fruit flavors.

I was thinking a flash sterilize of the raisins in the microwave or something like that. I will guess a handful of raisins is 1/2 cup or so; have you made this recipe without the raisins, and if so was there a difference in flavor or mouthfeel? Did you use the golden raisins to keep the cider's color light?

I was thinking a flash sterilize of the raisins in the microwave or something like that. I will guess a handful of raisins is 1/2 cup or so; have you made this recipe without the raisins, and if so was there a difference in flavor or mouthfeel? Did you use the golden raisins to keep the cider's color light?

in other batches I have boiled the raisins in a bit of water to pasteurize, but I don't usually bother.
I've not made this without raisins so can't comment on that.
& yes, I used the golden raisins to keep the color light.

Does your FAJC contain added vitamin C? I've only been able to find ones that do. I'm concerned this would make the final product too acidic. I've been wanting to do a 12-14% apple wine with no sugar.

Back