Too cool for ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So I put my fermentor in the basement where the abient temp appears to be about 57-58 degrees. Is that a little cool for S-05? I could move it to the bedroom closet where the temp stays a steady 67-68. Just thought I would try cooler. I don't SEE any activity yet, but it has been less than 24 hours since pitching. Thoughts?

So I put my fermentor in the basement where the abient temp appears to be about 57-58 degrees. Is that a little cool for S-05? I could move it to the bedroom closet where the temp stays a steady 67-68. Just thought I would try cooler. I don't SEE any activity yet, but it has been less than 24 hours since pitching. Thoughts?

Sounds perfect. Fermentation will bump that up into the low 60's. Can't get much better than that.

This is my favorite time of year for brewing. My basement is 59˚F and I can ferment just about any style (besides lagers of course) without the need to be concerned about keeping it cool. When the yeast specifies a fermentation temp they are referring to the temp inside the fermenter, not the ambient temp that it's being kept in.

Fermentation, being exothermic, can increase the temps inside the fermenter by as much as 10˚F. You'll be right on the money fermenting at your basement temps.

When I brew my Blueberry Summer Ale I use S-05 and keep the fermentor temps at 59 degrees, at that temp the yeast gives off a peach-like flavor that I find goes quite nicely with the honey malt, Sorachi Ace hops, and of course the blueberries.

If you like peach, try to drop the temp a little so the fermentor temp is at 58-59 degrees, otherwise let it roll, once it takes off you will be about 64 degrees which should be perfect.

This is my favorite time of year for brewing. My basement is 59˚F and I can ferment just about any style (besides lagers of course) without the need to be concerned about keeping it cool. When the yeast specifies a fermentation temp they are referring to the temp inside the fermenter, not the ambient temp that it's being kept in.

Fermentation, being exothermic, can increase the temps inside the fermenter by as much as 10˚F. You'll be right on the money fermenting at your basement temps.

those are perfect temps for most ales. winter's great for that, no struggling to keep temps down. check out this write-up i did on fermenting ales in the high 50s-low 60's. :mug:

those are perfect temps for most ales. winter's great for that, no struggling to keep temps down. check out this write-up i did on fermenting ales in the high 50s-low 60's. :mug:

Great write-up!!! There is nothing I could add to that. I feel like you wrote the thoughts that were already in my brain, but better than I could ever write them!!!

i have to admit when i read the title of this thread, i thought it was about someone who didn't have time to worry about drinking ale. a la 'too cool for school'

Funny! I wasn't thinking that at all when I titled the thread. Thanks for the input. The ambient temp actually dropped to around 54. It still seems low to me but I will let it ride and see where it is at in a couple weeks. With any luck it will turn into a nice clean brew!

Back