Today I'm making...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairbanksBrewinNoob

Reaction score
Beer!

Ive been watching fairbanksbrewingirl do it for a while, but it's my first batch on my own. Wish me luck!

No luck involved - it'll be easy (but somewhat messy my first batch).

Have fun and make sure you always have a beer to drink handy!

Being able to watch someone before brewing by yourself is extremely helpful. Kind of gives you an idea of how to organize equipment and visually what to expect.

Good luck with you brew!

Well I did it, I made beer.

Everything went real smooth. No problems, or hiccups, although BrewinGirl might have been sick of my questions by the end of it :)

I ordered the American Wheat partial mash kit from Austin Homebrew, and I guess the biggest surprise to me in the whole process was that the kit called for a two and a half gallon boil (and top off in the fermenter) instead of the full five gallon boil i'm used to seeing. No biggie, but it took me a while to figure out what it was they were trying to do :)

Anyway, hit the final gravity they predicited (well, within .001 --although i imagine you cant go too wrong with a partial mash)), and the wort tasted pretty good. A little more hoppy than I would have expected for the style, but i suppose that will moderate by the time i'm drinking it? Or maybe im just not used to hoppy wheats. Who knows, who cares, it was delicious :)

Yay me, i made beer.

You don't mean final gravity, you mean Original Gravity. FG is after fermentation. And, yes, you can expect the hops to fade by the time you drink it

edit: damn me, i forgot--

CONGRATULATIONS!

Yep i meant original gravity and even meant to type it, but its been a long day and I can't brain anymore :)

well it's been a little over 3 weeks since brewday and I think today is the day I'll rack my wheat into the keg. Brew to keg in 3 weeks seems pretty quick but I've been told that's not too unusual for a wheat beer?

Anyway, looking forwarding to tasting it...

Latest posts

Back