To Stir or Not to Stir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just leave it alone.

You aerate/stir/shake like heck before you add the yeast, but once you add the yeast you can just let them acclimate to their new surroundings.

Usually the motion caused by moving the fermentor to its final resting place is enough to spread the yeast out a little bit. Just as long as you don't get the yeast stuck on the side walls you are fine. I haven't seen much of a difference whether I agitate it or not honestly.

I stir mine but it is because I am paranoid. After aerating and topping off I have a crap load of foam in my fermenter. I'm nervous about tossing the yeast on top of that foam and then putting the lid on, not knowing when it actually makes its way down into the wort. Stirring gives me some peace of mind, even if it doesn't do anything.

I shake the crap out of mine after I put the yeast in but that's my only real oxygenation efforts. If you oxygenate before hand you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Back