To secondary or not secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my mates and I have our first London porter fermenting, and we have a glass carboy to use as a secondary. A friend of mine tells me that you wait until it's done fermenting before you transfer, another says about half way through.

Which is it?

I have a second question as well, regarding temperatures:\

Is 72 degrees F too warm for a Porter to ferment? That's the temperature it has been sitting at and it's been bubbling merrily along.

I don't secondary, unless I'm racking on top of dry hops or fruit additions.

If you're going to secondary, transfer only after FG is reached. But for most beers, just primary 3-4 weeks then bottle/keg. Secondary only when adding post fermentation additions, like fruit or dry hops. Some people even dry hop in primary. Read up on the subject of secondary fermentation here on the site.

Simple solution.....wait untill fermentation stops (roughtly 10 days). Then transfer to secondary for clarifying (3-7 days). Or you can leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle or keg.

Using a secondary is a heated topic. I secondary everything, just personal preference.

Rack to the secondary after Final Gravity is reached. Or you can rack to help stall out a fermentation for whatever reason.

Your temps are fine but are in the higher range for ales. I typically like to ferment my ales around ~66-68F. But its nothing to sweat, you'll be fine.

I don't secondary any more. It seems like extra work. I give it three weeks and give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves. There are two sides to this issue and many people are passionate about the way they use. In reality, they both work and you can produce great beers both way. I just have come to the conclusion that it is easier to leave it in the primary.
Fermentation temp depends on the yeast that you are using. I wouldn't go higher than 72. Remember fermentation will generate it own heat and the temp in the carboy will be a little higher. You should be ok.

I don't secondary any more. It seems like extra work. I give it three weeks and give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves. There are two sides to this issue and many people are passionate about the way they use. In reality, they both work and you can produce great beers both way. I just have come to the conclusion that it is easier to leave it in the primary.
Fermentation temp depends on the yeast that you are using. I wouldn't go higher than 72. Remember fermentation will generate it own heat and the temp in the carboy will be a little higher. You should be ok.

I think that saying it's easier to leave in primary because it's extra work to secondary is valid. I was just saying in another thread that this comes down to preference and not waniting to do extra work makes sense as far as a reason why one wouldn't secondary. Where I think it gets heated is people trying to say that one way or the other is scientifically better. You can make beer great both ways and you should experiment with both.

i leave mine on the yeast 4-5 weeks, unless dry-hopping. then i dry-hop in the 4th week for a week. i lager in the keg for however long is needed (at least 2 weeks), then drink up

Back