To Rack or Not To Rack?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rph33

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Location
Sacramento, CA
Got my Double IPA going in primary right now, and I'm leaving for Argentina for 10 days starting tomorrow. Meaning I won't be back until January 2nd.

The IPA started with OG 1.072, and it is still bubbling away with a nice krausen. It's at 1.040 right now. I estimate it will be through with primary fermentation by Saturday.

My question is: should I leave it in primary, meaning it will sit on the yeast cake till January 2nd or 3rd, or should I rack it to secondary early, being midway through fermentation? Will either option have a negative effect on the beer, or either a particularly positive one?

Thanks.
 

MSatt

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Location
Jax, FL
hope you used a blow off tube or you may come back to a nice mess for your significant other to bitch about!
 

MoRoToRiUm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
1,389
Reaction score
6
Just make sure the temps will stay consistent (pending any large unforeseeable electric/heating malfunctions).
 
OP
rph33

rph33

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Location
Sacramento, CA
thanks dudes! leavin' it as it is, and yes, i've got a blowoff tube :)

the smell comin' out the top smells simply divine, i must say. can't wait to get back from Argentina and rack this bitch on top of some Cascades!
 
Top