To Rack or Not To Rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
Got my Double IPA going in primary right now, and I'm leaving for Argentina for 10 days starting tomorrow. Meaning I won't be back until January 2nd.

The IPA started with OG 1.072, and it is still bubbling away with a nice krausen. It's at 1.040 right now. I estimate it will be through with primary fermentation by Saturday.

My question is: should I leave it in primary, meaning it will sit on the yeast cake till January 2nd or 3rd, or should I rack it to secondary early, being midway through fermentation? Will either option have a negative effect on the beer, or either a particularly positive one?

Thanks.

hope you used a blow off tube or you may come back to a nice mess for your significant other to ***** about!

Just make sure the temps will stay consistent (pending any large unforeseeable electric/heating malfunctions).

thanks dudes! leavin' it as it is, and yes, i've got a blowoff tube :)

the smell comin' out the top smells simply divine, i must say. can't wait to get back from Argentina and rack this ***** on top of some Cascades!

Back