To pitch or not to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently brewed the Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel Extract Kit. I brewed everything pretty much as directed in the recipe instructions, except I did a full batch boil, adjustin hops accordingly for higher utilization, as well as using different hops than provided with the kit. I used Wyeast Belgian Strong Activator Yeast. It has been in the primary for 7 days not, and the airlock was really bubbling strong for the first 2 days, and then slowed down drastically after that. While the yeast packet said that a starter was not required, I wonder if I should have anyway. I noticed that Austin Homebrew's kits have the option to double the yeast for their high gravity brews. I'm wondering now if I should have done something like that. Does anybody think there is any value to adding extra yeast at this point? I'm also wondering if it is time to push this one to the secondary. Somebody please help me. I'm worried I might ruin what should be an incredible beer.

First, RDWHAHB.

With an OG of 1.083 - 1.086, I would suggest either pitching two packs of yeast, or using a starter. But not doing so isn't going to ruin your beer by any stretch. What will happen is you will force the yeast to spend more time reproducing before they start fermentation. In a nutshell, this will cause a longer fermentation, as well as increased "yeasty" flavors. You may also find lower attenuation, thus giving a slightly lower ABV than you would otherwise have gotten. But these aren't huge issues.

Since you've already passed the peak of fermentation, I don't see any advantage to adding more yeast now. You won't eliminate the flavors caused by the initial stress.

As far as racking to secondary, you didn't say how long it's been in primary or if it's still bubbling. I'd hold this beer in primary a little longer than usual, both because of the high gravity and the underpitching. It'll clear up some of the stray flavors.

OK, I'll try to relax. It has been in the primary 7 days as of last night. I still catch a bubble once in awhile in the airlock. I'll probably leave it in the primary for another week then rack to secondary. From what I've read lately, it's not uncommon to leave a tripel in the primary for 2 weeks. Plus that will give me time to get another kit so I can get another batch going in the primary right away. Probably going to try a witbier for my wife prior to the attempt at cloning Goose Island's Harvest Ale.

I've read some people use the priming sugar when they are doing long conditioning in the secondary. Should I consider doing this? Unfortunately I'm not set up to bottle, so I won't be able to do the style proper justice as would be done with long bottle conditioning.

I'm real anxious to take a hydrometer reading, but not willing to risk contamination, so I will probably wait until I'm going to rack to secondary.

I think leaving a triple in primary for two weeks is a bare minimum. I'd consider leaving it in primary for three or four before moving it into secondary. Let the yeast do its clean-up job properly...

I've never put sugar in a secondary, and I'm not certain what the desired effect would be. Increasing sweetness? Jump-starting another fermentation cycle? Generally, secondary fermentation is a misnomer -- there's little to no fermentation, its aging time.

I can see right now I'm gonna need a backup primary for times like this. Maybe I'll break out the bucket and do an easy batch. Or I can just use this as an excuse to pick up another 6.5 gallon carboy ;-)

Just put the Trippel in the secondary. Just had to drink my hydrometer sampe and it tasted great! Calculated to 8.66% ABV. Now it's 6 months to bottling time. I can't wait. Gonna do a Belgian White and Harvest Ale in the meantime.

Back