To keg or not to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I've read website on cornelius kegs and it makes it seem so complicated to use on for homebrewing. Could someone tell me just how hard it is? How much money and time does it take to get going? And finally, do you have to make a keggerator or can you just store them in a spare fridge?

It's not complicated and parts can be ordered online.

You're probly looking at $150 or better to get started though. You'll need a CO2 Bottle, a Regulator a few feet of 5/16 id high pressure gas line, and 6 feet of 3/16 beer line. Of course, at least one soda keg with the fittings.

I'm just starting to keg and I'm just putting it into a spare fridge in my garage and dispensing with a cobra tap. Like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/draftsystems-kegs.html

Eddited for bad info. I saw OK and thought UK. You're going to need to keep it in a fridge.

Kegging is only as expensive and complicated as you make it. I have been looking into starting for a while now. I just got a free fridge that I plan to convert to a kegerator. Another friend who used to keep kegs on tap has a CO2 tank and regulator he has said he will give me and I have a line on 3 free corneys from my local Fire Dept. Cleaning the used kegs and replacing the gaskets doesn't seem to be too hard of task, and there is plenty of info on carbonation online. Keep your eyes open for deals and you could set yourself up fairly cheaply.

If you're up for a little research on those deals 2nd Street previously mentioned, try eBay. There are scads of kits at all levels (with kegs, without, with CO2 bottle, without, etc). I'm fairly new to brewing, but I think big. I have a friend with a kegerator and I envy him every time I visit. I've started watching eBay and have found pencil kegs (soda kegs) going cheaply to moderately priced. Shipping can be upwards of $20 for a pair, but that depends on how closely you live to the seller. I'm also figuring on converting a used medium/full sized fridge. The small fridges are nice, but I like the idea of the extra storage for holding bottles, recipe components, glasses, a third keg if I get adventurous...

I'm figuring on getting into a complete dual keg setup for under $350, including the used fridge. If I run across some of those "deals", maybe much less. It all depends on your ingenuity and knack at penny pinching! :D

"I'm figuring on getting into a complete dual keg setup for under $350, including the used fridge. If I run across some of those "deals", maybe much less. It all depends on your ingenuity and knack at penny pinching! :D"

Mr. Andy Long boobs. You'll end up spending more like $700, because you'll fark it up like the first batch of mud you attemted and end up doin it twice.

Cheers

I recently purchased (some stuff still in transit) for a 2 keg setup. $220 total but I opted for picnic taps (those black cheap plastic taps) for now as I'm not sure if I'm going to make a tower kegerator or a thru my spare fridge setup. Got to show the wife what the spare fridge will look like with this in there 1st :). The picnic taps will come in handy anyways if I decide to hit the road with a keg...

I went homebrewing.org for the rebuilt kegs (2 for $58 including shipping) and beveragefactory.com for CO2, gauges, connectors, lines etc. I had to call beverage factory to tell them what I wanted to do and they said you need x, y, x and placed the order. I got a great guy on the line. $160 spent here.

El Pistolero said:
So Mr. BM9999, you joined this forum just to give Mr. Long a hard time?

I suspected this after the last insult. He has only replied to two threads, and only after Mr Long posts something.

Troll. I'm just going to move him to IGNORE.

-walker

Once you get the equipment, set up a fridge, its easier than bottling in my opinion.

desertBrew said:
I recently purchased (some stuff still in transit) for a 2 keg setup. $220 total but I opted for picnic taps (those black cheap plastic taps) for now as I'm not sure if I'm going to make a tower kegerator or a thru my spare fridge setup. Got to show the wife what the spare fridge will look like with this in there 1st :). The picnic taps will come in handy anyways if I decide to hit the road with a keg...

I went homebrewing.org for the rebuilt kegs (2 for $58 including shipping) and beveragefactory.com for CO2, gauges, connectors, lines etc. I had to call beverage factory to tell them what I wanted to do and they said you need x, y, x and placed the order. I got a great guy on the line. $160 spent here.
And you're done? $380 total. Whew that's steep! I'm going to have to hold off for a while on that one.

No... $220 total. Cheaper if you aren't planning on having two taps flowing. You can always buy more stuff later. Nutshell what you need & what I paid for these components:

1 - keg - $29 (with shipping)
1 - 2 gauge regulator. Don't skimp on that get the 2 gauge. $37
1 - 5# CO2 tank (new). $55
1 - set of ball lock connectors - $14
1- Picnic faucet (get better stuff later) $7
1 - 4' Air Tubing - $2.25
misc - washers, clamps - $3.00

= $150. This assuming you have a fridge to put it in...

I was estimating around $200 for all the parts for a two keg setup, less the fridge. Looks like I'm not off by too much after seeing Desert's totals. There are a few businesses near me that refurbish refridgerators and sell them for $200 and less. Look around in your neighborhood - there are bound to be similar businesses. Then there's the local classifieds. I hope to find something used so I don't feel bad punching a hole through the door for the taps.

I started this adventure thinking the two cases of flippy bottles I have would be enough. Since I've already promised/invited-friends-for-tasting over half of my first batch away (and it's not even in the bottles yet), I've now realized I need a setup capable of greater storage. A two-keg fridge should do the trick.

By the way, El P and Walker, I racked my do-over nut brown ale batch into the secondary a couple of days ago and took a little sample in the process. I'm pleased to say that even flat, it tasted as good as a local microbrewery's brown ale I cracked open later that evening. So, 9999 can rant all he wants. Doesn't bother me a bit. :)

AndyLong said:
I was estimating around $200 for all the parts for a two keg setup, less the fridge. Looks like I'm not off by too much after seeing Desert's totals.

I have a feeling I'll be almost at 300 when done though. I'm contemplating the forward seal Perlick taps * 2 (Thanks TN) which are more expensive ($35-40 ea) than your standard chrome plated number at $13. Might be only Orrelse who knows why I'd choose Perlick over Vent Matic. (That was a test dude).

Oh, and the wife approves of converting the spare fridge. ;)

Greetings!

I went directly to kegging and only rarely bottle. I suspect that if I had started out bottling, I would have quit homebrewing after a few years. With kegs, you have one thing to clean, fill and store. Most ales can go straight from the primary into a corny for secondary fermentation and serving. The first pint or two will have some yeast, but then it runs clean.

The most expensive part to start is the tank and regulator ($40-80 US). If you like keg-conditioned ales, you don't even need that (A cornie is almost a firkin). I started out that way. I've built a kegerator and keep three ales and a keg of soda water cool on tap. Ales that serve best at room temperature I use party taps. Or you can always tap some off into a growler for parties.

$150's not bad. Might make a decent christmas present for this family's favorite homebrewer. Thanks for the price breakdown desertbrew.

If I get to do that, I'll have to get some instructions from you.

AndyLong said:
By the way, El P and Walker, I racked my do-over nut brown ale batch into the secondary a couple of days ago and took a little sample in the process. I'm pleased to say that even flat, it tasted as good as a local microbrewery's brown ale I cracked open later that evening. So, 9999 can rant all he wants. Doesn't bother me a bit. :)
Nut brown ale sounds good...I'm gonna have to try one of those myself soon. I tasted some of my scotch ale out of the brewpot Thursday night...boy was it good, almost like a cup of hot chocolate. :) So have you figured out who this 9999 person is? It's gotta be someone you know.

Nope. My guess is it's someone with too much free time and nothing positive to contribute. Don't really care, anyway.

Besides... if I were to let someone giving me a hard time about having to toss my very first batch get to me, this would be a very short-lived hobby. I'm already enjoying it too much to let that happen.

Do try the nut brown ale. I've preferred ambers for a couple of years, but I'm finding the brown ales pretty tasty lately. A friend had some kegged and I kept coming back for more. :drunk:

AndyLong said:
Nope. My guess is it's someone with too much free time and nothing positive to contribute. Don't really care, anyway.

Besides... if I were to let someone giving me a hard time about having to toss my very first batch get to me, this would be a very short-lived hobby. I'm already enjoying it too much to let that happen.

Do try the nut brown ale. I've preferred ambers for a couple of years, but I'm finding the brown ales pretty tasty lately. A friend had some kegged and I kept coming back for more. :drunk:

He He, they wiil do that to ya.. :cross:

Edit: The Beer Not the person given you a hard time.

ORRELSE said:
AHA! Milwaukee, Wisconsin baby! Perlick RULES!!! :D (just wish I could afford them)

I thought I saw them for $37. Not cheap but not outrageous. I got a B-day coming up and was going to request 2 for that...

Sidebar - Did you choose the right game to see live or what?!?!? You have to go to all games now. I watched at hooters in Hampton on Mercury. Don't think we'll be able to hookup either since I'm being led around by the nose all week. Sat the only option if at all (guess we're going to Virginia Beach). In DC today & tomorrow.

desertBrew said:
I thought I saw them for $37. Not cheap but not outrageous. I got a B-day coming up and was going to request 2 for that...

Sidebar - Did you choose the right game to see live or what?!?!? You have to go to all games now. I watched at hooters in Hampton on Mercury. Don't think we'll be able to hookup either since I'm being led around by the nose all week. Sat the only option if at all (guess we're going to Virginia Beach). In DC today & tomorrow.

I'll probably upgrade to vent-matic or perlick eventually. I'm tired of my cheap faucets sticking lately.

Sidebar to sidebar:

It was an AWESOME game. Dude we sat right in front of Saint Vince! We got a pic with him. :D
No prob if we can't meet up. Bad week I guess. With Sam and I both working nasty night shifts, Sam moving, and then me flying to Miami Saturday morning for our cruise--it makes things tough to find time!
We'll catch up sometime--especially if you make it out here again.

Sucks too--I've got a stout and a nice LWPA on tap. :drunk:

Back