To force carb a keg does it have to be cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosco

Reaction score
I seem to hear different opinions on this so I wanted to see what you guys had to say. If I am going to force carb a keg with C02 does the keg have to be cold while doing this or can it be sitting hooked to the CO2 tank at room temp?

The reason I ask is I don't currently have a fridge for kegs so I was hoping to hook my C02 to the keg and carb it up at room temp and then when I wanted to drink the beer I could cool it some how and drink it out of the tap. Or my other thought was to warm carb it and then bottle the beer if I can't get the keg cooled.

It does not have to be cold.

You do need to reference the appropriate pressure for the temperature of the beer as it is carbonated.

No, but it sure helps if you want it done quickly. Gases are more soluble in cold liquids.

If it is going to be a couple of weeks before you need it, you could naturally carb it like a giant bottle. Takes about four weeks. And, you have to cold crash it and pull off about a pint of yeast sludge as your first pour. But, that's an option.

You will also still have some time of adjustment where the carbonation is unbalanced after you stick it in a kegerator, even if you force carb it first.

If my basement is at around 65 degrees what PSI would I need to run roughly? I am thinking about hooking the keg to my C02 tank and letting it sit in the basement to carb up for a week/weeks or how ever long it may take. Can I let that keg sit hooked to C02 for weeks on end if I want or would it be best to get it carb'd up and then remove the C02 until I want to drink the keg or bottle it at a later date?

I am trying to get around having to leave the keg at my buddies house to carb up hooked to his equipment. This way I could bring the keg home and carb it here then either chill to drink out of the keg or fill bottles with it. Or am I just being stupid and should wait until I get get a fridge all set up? I will scrap the whole idea if leaving it warm and hooked up to C02 is a bad idea.

Thanks for the link. So will it hurt if I leave it hooked to the C02 for an extended period of time or do I need to carb it and then remove it from the C02 until I am ready to use it then either bottle it or chill and tap the keg?

Following worked great for me. Transferred fresh batch to corny and set to 30 psi and released some gas to remove oxygen. Unhooked gas and rolled the keg for about 5 minutes. Hooked it back to the co2 and tossed the keg and co2 into the fridge for about 7 hours. Unhooked the co2 and rolled the keg another 5 minutes and set co2 to 20 psi and went to work. After work rolled the keg again and hooked it back to co2 at 7 psi. Beer poured fine with carbonation for my nite cap.

I've been kegging without a fridge for almost a year, it's no problem, you may use a little more CO2 than those with a fridge, but not enough to be a huge deal. The biggest problem I have is foaming while pouring. There are lots of solutions to this that will make thing managable. Longer dispensing lines is one that always pops up on here. I use the epoxy mixers in the dip tubes (works great - do a search and you'll find the info,) also holding the tap as high as you can while you pour, and pouring into a cold mug/growler works well. I had the kegs sitting around 40 degrees all winter, and I had no problems, now comes the summer though, so there will be more foaming. No worries, it's still better than bottling!!

Back