To enter in the Comp or not enter in the comp, that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
So I’ll be entering a NZ Pilsner in X5 category in an upcoming competition. I have an Imperial Milk Stout on tap that I would like to enter just because it’s on tap and solid beer. It was brewed with Coconut, cocoa nibs, vanilla, and coffee so it’s obviously not brewed to any tradition stout category. I was wondering if anyone has ever entered a similar stout and to what category? Also if you did, how’d you do and is it worth my time?

I brewed with my cousin a double chocolate S’more Stout that had lactose, cocoa powder, vanilla, cocoa nibs and meadowfoam honey (tastes like marshmallows). When first tapped the flavor and aroma were amazing. Great chocolate aroma while pouring.

My plan was to enter it in 30A Spice Herb Vegetable beer As a Sweet Stout with Chocolate and Vanilla. While registering my beers for the competition I tasted the beer one more time and all of the flavors had faded. So much so that I felt it matched a Tropical Stout so that is how I entered it.

I guess my point is to taste the beer and if it matches a known style enter it in that category.

If the spices you added are noticeable then I think 30A is the best fit. But only list the spices that are noticeable. I’ve judged category 30A for two different local competitions and the biggest problem is the brewer listing ingredients but I can’t taste or smell them. That ultimately lowers their score.

A judge friend of mine gave advice to be as vague as allowed when it comes to describing the base beer. I did not follow his advice when I recently entered a Chocolate + Pepper beer that I labeled an "Imperial Stout" (it was a 9.5% beer). Most of the comments were "good chocolate and pepper flavor, good stout but not Imperial enough". I suspect I would have gotten 3+ more points if I just called it a "Stout". If you put the labels "Imperial" or "Milk" on your entry make sure the beer fits both of those descriptions.

A judge friend of mine gave advice to be as vague as allowed when it comes to describing the base beer. I did not follow his advice when I recently entered a Chocolate + Pepper beer that I labeled an "Imperial Stout" (it was a 9.5% beer). Most of the comments were "good chocolate and pepper flavor, good stout but not Imperial enough". I suspect I would have gotten 3+ more points if I just called it a "Stout". If you put the labels "Imperial" or "Milk" on your entry make sure the beer fits both of those descriptions.

9.5% is enough...

^Right^
Considering the BJCP 2015 guidance puts an imperial stout between 8 and 12% I'm betting it was too smooth for the judges.
Eff 'em and enjoy your imperial stout!

Cheers! :D

Thanks for the advice guys. So I feel 30a. Is most likely going to be where this beer fits the best. The vanilla, coffee, and chocolate are prominent. I don’t think I’ll list the coconut because it seems to be blending into the vanilla component of the beer instead of standing out.

My concern at this point is choosing the base beer I should claim. Since it’s an Imperial Milk Stout (abv: 9.7% Ibu: 68) I used predominantly Carafa and midnight wheat in the dark grains and special b as the dark crystal. It’s out of the abv and gravity range of 16a. Sweet Stout but a little too sweet and not roasty enough in my opinion for 20c. Imperial Stout

Considering the BJCP 2015 guidance puts an imperial stout between 8 and 12% I'm betting it was too smooth for the judges.

I think the judges were correct in their assessment. I brewed it as an Imperial Stout and all the numbers fit the Imperial Stout guidelines. Looking at the recipe it could probably use more roasted malts or complexity and this particular batch did not attenuate where I wanted and came off a bit sweet. By adding the "Imperial" label to the entry I just gave the judges one more area to find flaws.

Thanks for the advice guys. So I feel 30a. Is most likely going to be where this beer fits the best. The vanilla, coffee, and chocolate are prominent. I don’t think I’ll list the coconut because it seems to be blending into the vanilla component of the beer instead of standing out.

My concern at this point is choosing the base beer I should claim. Since it’s an Imperial Milk Stout (abv: 9.7% Ibu: 68) I used predominantly Carafa and midnight wheat in the dark grains and special b as the dark crystal. It’s out of the abv and gravity range of 16a. Sweet Stout but a little too sweet and not roasty enough in my opinion for 20c. Imperial Stout
So if I'm reading the style guidelines correctly, the base style doesn't necessarily have to be another recognized style category: "The entrant must specify a base style, but the declared style does not have to be a Classic Style". So calling it at imperial milk stout may fly.

It is not so much about the style you’ve brewed as it is about how the beer presents. If it doesn’t have the “chewyness” of a stout call it a porter. Describe your additions, if they cannot be tasted do not add them in the description if they are in the background say it is mild or a hint. Good luck!

Recipe? I have all those on hand and need to use it up!

Latest posts

Back