To dry hop or not to dry hop the Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
So, I am in a bit of a pickle at the moment and being super indecisive… Looking for some suggestions.

I brewed a German Pils about two weeks ago... Grist comprised of 97% Pils and 3% Acid malt. OG ended up at 1.054 and current FG is 1.011 (5.6% ABV)… May drop a point or two more, but think it’s done. Tried a new mash schedule that included a single decoction, adding a wonderful color and malt character. In the past I have done multi-decoction mashes and just single infusion’s (with some melanoidin malt), but I am happiest with this method which was a single infusion with a single decoction to mash-out, boiling the decoction for 15-20mins. Didn't add much time to the brew day like the multi-step variant.

Taking my hydrometer reading yesterday, I must say the aroma and flavor of this Pils is better than any other I have done. My recipe form, process and water profile as far as I am concerned is now perfect and resulted in exactly what I am after in a German Pils, commercial or my own.

In the boil, I had used pellet Hallertau Magnum for bittering followed by whole-leaf Czech Saaz and Tettnanger near the end of the boil. IBU’s in the range of 45-50.

My problem is, originally I had planned to do a short dry hop with 1oz each of Saaz and Mittelfrüh for a day or so before crashing and kegging the Pils, then setting aside for the 5-6 week cold conditioning. I have never dry hopped any of my Pils before, but was going to do so for additional aroma this time around.

However, given how amazing the hydrometer sample was I am now reluctant to add the dry hop in worry that it will change too much and “ruin” the delicacy of this brew. At this point at least, the hop aroma and flavor is perfection although I know it will continue to change a bit during conditioning.

What does everyone suggest? Dry hop it or skip? Perhaps ½ of the original amounts, instead? Just one hop or the other? I just don’t know…

Food for thought:
It's not traditional to dry hop a German Pils, but then again, that is what Firestone Walker does to Pivo Plis. Pisses people off when they win gold at the GABF in that category!

If you like it the way it is I would say skip it. I also agree the extra hops will hide the flavors produced from the decoction.

If you do dry hop it, go big and make it a hop bomb! :D

That is what I figured would be the popular vote, but just needed to hear it! I will leave this one alone... Likely I will re-brew this same pils again quickly here and depending on the outcome of this one, may dry hop that one and compare notes.

Appreciate it!

I would pull off a gallon, growler, quart, etc. and dry hop the small subset. That way you can compare quickly without a full re-brew. I just did something similar with a decocted maibock. If you end up preferring the small dry hop version you can always go back and dry hop the rest of the keg.

Latest posts

Back