To Cold Crash or Not To Cold Crash..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
To cold crash or not to cold crash?...that is the question. I added 3 oz of dry hops on Saturday and was going to bottle on Thursday this week, but I was wanting to cold crash to drop all the hop material out of suspension so I get as little as possible in the bottles. But If I cold crash, carbonation could take longer, so by the time the beer is fully carbonated, the hop aroma may have diminished. I will be bottling this batch.

Decisions, decisions...

Hmmm, I've stumbled on similar topics and I believe many answers are that there will still be enough yeast in suspension to bottle condition. I would say that you could cold crash for 48 hours and still be okay. I don't think there will be an extended period of time to carbonate if you do that. If you cold crash for 7+ days, maybe that'll really slow things down, but 48 hours makes me believe that it should carbonate. I cannot recall carbonation time on the last batch cold crashed then bottled, but I want to say that I wasn't waiting longer than 10-12 days, which is pretty normal.

Sounds good. 48 hours is pretty much exactly how long I wanted to cold crash for.

Now I just gotta drink a bunch of bottles of beer to make room in my refrigerator..Or take them out for a couple days

Cold crashing will not extend the time required to bottle condition. Once the beer is in the bottles it'll take them a maximum of about 2 hours to get back up to room temperature. While others may disagree, I find that racking to secondary and then cold crashing for a day or two to be an excellent way of keeping trub and hop debris out of the bottles.

Back