To bottle, or not to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebrewsgoyim

Reaction score
My Belgian Witbier is still bubbling oh so slowly. But I am in secondary. I haven't had anything produce CO2 for this long. When I changed out the fermenter ball for the second time however, it had very little trub. So my question is, do I go ahead and bottle on schedule? Which is Wednesday. Or should I wait for another week to see how it is progressing? I suppose a Gravity reading would be in order. I used a yeast starter in this batch for the first time. I did not aerate my wort. I am concerned that the yeast isn't getting enough oxygen. Although the first 24 hours in primary was supercharged. But it has slowed to a crawl after that. I really don't want to fowl this batch. It is my favorite style of beer. any advice is appreciated.

Once the fermenting beer gets past initial fermentation, the highly active part, it'll slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. Do a hydrometer test, then check it again on the 3rd day. If the numbers match, it's done.

I took a final gravity...1.011. With an initial of 1.050. So it's 5.1% abv. Which is perfect! It tastes amazing as well! Thanks all for your help!

If it's still bubbling, then no, don't bottle (although it's possible the bubbling is off-gassing).

1.011... did you get that same reading days apart?

How long ago did you brew this?

I brewed it almost 3 weeks ago. It's at 5.1% abv and recipe said it would be a 5.0% abv. So I think I am spot on. It is definitely my favorite batch so far. Brewed a California common today and I am in the middle of brewing an American Amber ale. But I am pretty beat. I bottled a cream ale with peach purè first. It was excellent! So I will have 4 batches worth of beer in 3 weeks.

OK, but be careful. The ABVs listed aren't guaranteed, and it's possible the yeast is still working (which would explain the bubbling). If this is true, you'll have bottle bombs.

However, the fact that you brewed three weeks ago is a good sign, as it would be unusual for it to still be going that long.

I'll repeat what has already been suggested - two gravity readings 2 - 3 days apart. If they match, you're done. If not, wait. FG being what the recipe predicted doesn't guaranty it's done. If you bottle before it's finished, it will keep fermenting and could result in bottle bombs. It's not worth the risk.

I'll repeat what has already been suggested - two gravity readings 2 - 3 days apart. If they match, you're done. If not, wait. FG being what the recipe predicted doesn't guaranty it's done. If you bottle before it's finished, it will keep fermenting and could result in bottle bombs. It's not worth the risk.

OP listen to this:mug:
Your small airlock activity could just be gas coming out of solution due to pressure or temperature changes. To be sure fermentation is done check your gravity.

So took another reading today. Spot on 1.011 48 hours apart. Houston, we are ready for lift off! Again, thank you all for the help!

The beer lab, 2.0.....California Common on the right in the brew jacket and and American Amber on the Left.

image.jpg

Back