To age or not to age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
I have done some resurch on aging and have gotten mixed ideas on what to do. I have some oat stouts and an imperial stout that I brewed and have been on my shelf at around 65* for 2 months. Should I drink em, or let em go longer? They are both around 7.8%
Also, I bought a couple local brews today. On is an imperial stout at 8% and a double IPA at 9%. The double IPA has a waxed cap.
I like aging, and tend to do it with my ciders extensively (have a handful that are over 3 years old) but am unsure about my beer. Especially when I pay 6$ for a bomber of imperial stout, and 8$ for a pint and a half bottle of double IPA. I would hate to ruin them.

Drink the double IPA as soon as possible. Hop aroma and flavor compounds are volatile and tend to dissipate fairly quickly, so hoppy beers are best fresh. Imperial stouts tend to age well, so you're good to hold on to those.

Back